Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to build a cinematic universe for a tv show franchise?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been reading the HOW-TO:Movie universe guide several times, and I'm not totally clear about it.

I want to create a Stargate Universe for the TV shows and movies. In the Folder Names section, it states
Quote:For this setup to work, Movie folders are required
For TV Shows, the standard TV Show > Season > Episode structure is all that is required. (Season folders are optional)
So I don't need Movie Folders, just the usual TV Show structure? I understand the bit about converting a movie to an episode.

Stargate and all it's franchises has a lot of episodes, and to rename each episode, NFO and artwork to e.g.

SGU600-Stargate SG-1 S08E01.mkv
SGU602-Stargate Atlantis S01E01.mkv
SGU604-Stargate SG-1 S08E03.mkv
SGU605-Stargate Atlantis S01E03.mkv
SGU606-Stargate SG-1 S08E04.mkv
SGU607-Stargate Atlantis S01E04.mkv
SGU608-Stargate SG-1 S08E05.mkv
SGU609-Stargate Atlantis S01E05.mkv

etc, etc, looks like a lot of work. Now I've seen in another thread (2nd post) by Powerhouse if I understand it correctly that MediaElch might make it easier? I currently use tinymediamanager for scraping.

Thanks in advance.
I do it by using Smart Playlists and folders.  My franchise series (Star Trek, Marvel, Stargate, etc) each has their own folder (which is individually added as a TV Source Directory).  Then I use a smart playlist along the lines of (if path contains "Stargate"...) to filter all of the series of one franchise into a single playlist.  For the case of Stargate, especially as it's interconnected between SG-1 and Atlantis, I just display all the episodes in one list and sort by airdate.  

Now with the specific case of Stargate, all of the series involved contain "Stargate" in their title anyway.  So you really don't even need to give them their own dedicated folder.  "Path contains 'Stargate'" would still pick them up just fine.  Alternatively, you can manually set the rule "Series is ..." and choose each of the Stargate series you want.
(2023-08-18, 13:25)DoctorJellybean Wrote: [ -> ]So I don't need Movie Folders, just the usual TV Show structure?
Yes.

Where exactly are you getting stuck?
If you scroll down to the end of that wiki page, you will see the episode numbering for the Stargate Franchise.
(2023-08-18, 20:18)NeoCortex Wrote: [ -> ]I do it by using Smart Playlists and folders.  My franchise series (Star Trek, Marvel, Stargate, etc) each has their own folder (which is individually added as a TV Source Directory).  Then I use a smart playlist along the lines of (if path contains "Stargate"...) to filter all of the series of one franchise into a single playlist.  For the case of Stargate, especially as it's interconnected between SG-1 and Atlantis, I just display all the episodes in one list and sort by airdate.  

Now with the specific case of Stargate, all of the series involved contain "Stargate" in their title anyway.  So you really don't even need to give them their own dedicated folder.  "Path contains 'Stargate'" would still pick them up just fine.  Alternatively, you can manually set the rule "Series is ..." and choose each of the Stargate series you want.
Thank you.

Sorting by airdate is a new one to me. So I wouldn't have to rename them to e.g. SGU600-Stargate SG-1 S08E01.mkv, etc? What about the Stargate movies? Just convert them to an episode?
(2023-08-18, 21:15)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-08-18, 13:25)DoctorJellybean Wrote: [ -> ]So I don't need Movie Folders, just the usual TV Show structure?
Yes.

Where exactly are you getting stuck?
If you scroll down to the end of that wiki page, you will see the episode numbering for the Stargate Franchise.

Thank you for replying.

I just wasn't sure about whether I need Movie Folders. I saw the episode numbering in the wiki, lot of renaming to do. I see NeoCortex mentioned sorting by airdate, I haven't seen that before.
(2023-08-18, 22:27)DoctorJellybean Wrote: [ -> ]I see NeoCortex mentioned sorting by airdate, I haven't seen that before.
You could give that method a try, but it won't sort correctly because Stargate Origins should be the first series in the timeline, but it was aired last, so it will be shown as a sequel instead of a prelude.

(2023-08-18, 22:27)DoctorJellybean Wrote: [ -> ]I saw the episode numbering in the wiki, lot of renaming to do.
Yes. Lucky its a one-off event. Once done, never needs doing again.
Here is a sample from my own library. You can see all the filenaming, and paths...
(2023-08-18, 22:45)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-08-18, 22:27)DoctorJellybean Wrote: [ -> ]I see NeoCortex mentioned sorting by airdate, I haven't seen that before.
You could give that method a try, but it won't sort correctly because Stargate Origins should be the first series in the timeline, but it was aired last, so it will be shown as a sequel instead of a prelude.
(2023-08-18, 22:27)DoctorJellybean Wrote: [ -> ]I saw the episode numbering in the wiki, lot of renaming to do.
Yes. Lucky its a one-off event. Once done, never needs doing again.
Here is a sample from my own library. You can see all the filenaming, and paths...
I'm in 2 minds whether to add Origins or not.

Thank you for your screenshot. So do you split the episodes in seasons, and not everything in one folder, which is what the episode numbering on the wiki page seems to suggest. I noticed that Episode 1 has the banner, clearart, fanart, etc, and in the same folder. tinymediamanager put them in the root folder, and the seasons\episodes in subfolders.
(2023-08-18, 23:04)DoctorJellybean Wrote: [ -> ]So do you split the episodes in seasons, and not everything in one folder,
Like the wiki page states, use the normal TV Show>Season>Episode layout.
To create the universe list in Kodi, Kodi is not scanning your folder structure, it is using the database entries.

(2023-08-18, 23:04)DoctorJellybean Wrote: [ -> ]I noticed that Episode 1 has the banner, clearart, fanart, etc, and in the same folder. tinymediamanager put them in the root folder, and the seasons\episodes in subfolders.
Yea, that is the Stargate movie which I converted into the first episode of Stargate tv show. I didn't want to throw away the artwork for the movie, so I saved it as shown in the image. The fanart and poster will be used, the others won't.
Thank you very much, you have been a lot of help. I'll slowly start renaming.
(2023-08-18, 23:14)DoctorJellybean Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you very much, you have been a lot of help. I'll slowly start renaming.
You are welcome.

To rename in bulk, I use this tool... https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/
It is a bit overwhelming first time, but you get the hang of it quickly.

= Edit =
This is what my Universes look like... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3134391
(2023-08-18, 23:18)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]To rename in bulk, I use this tool... https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/
It is a bit overwhelming first time, but you get the hang of it quickly.

= Edit =
This is what my Universes look like... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3134391

I've installed that tool, and yes, it looks a bit overwhelming.

If I may ask, what was the various settings you used in BRU to rename the files? E.g. renumbering, etc.
(2023-09-01, 21:40)DoctorJellybean Wrote: [ -> ]If I may ask, what was the various settings you used in BRU to rename the files? E.g. renumbering, etc.
Sorry for the delay, I lost track of your post.

Name (2) is the file name
Numbering (10) is the numbering which is appended to the file name You can increment by 1, 2 or whatever you need.
You will need to run it three times, once for the video file, then the nfo file then the thumb file each time highlighting what needs to be changed.
(2023-09-05, 05:41)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-09-01, 21:40)DoctorJellybean Wrote: [ -> ]If I may ask, what was the various settings you used in BRU to rename the files? E.g. renumbering, etc.
Sorry for the delay, I lost track of your post.

Name (2) is the file name
Numbering (10) is the numbering which is appended to the file name You can increment by 1, 2 or whatever you need.
You will need to run it three times, once for the video file, then the nfo file then the thumb file each time highlighting what needs to be changed.
Many thanks again! I did suspect that it has to be done in 3 stages.

Looking at your earlier screenshot, your files start with SGU and incremental renumbered, e.g. SGU150, SGU200,SGU202, SGU204, etc. In this screenshot, they all start with SGU200, no incremental renumbering.
(2023-09-05, 09:03)DoctorJellybean Wrote: [ -> ]Looking at your earlier screenshot, your files start with SGU and incremental renumbered, e.g. SGU150, SGU200,SGU202, SGU204, etc. In this screenshot, they all start with SGU200, no incremental renumbering.
Ah, bugger. You are right. I quickly mocked that up, but failed to check the SGU numbering.
Let me do again.
It was quite a few years ago when I did this last.

Its a two step process.
First rename the file without the SGU prefix so you get this...

Then add the prefix in the second step...
Pages: 1 2