Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 17.6 on Windows 11
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

Does someone know if Kodi 17.6 works on Windows 11?

Best Regards
Captorx
17.6 is unsupported so if the question is "is it supposed to work?" then the answer is no

will it work in general, it is unlikely so you will have to test and find out
OK, thank you very much.
The reason why I have used version 17.6 until now is that not all my downloaded (torrents) showed up in more recent Kodi versions. Only about 25% showed up compare to 100% in version 17.6.
So I downgraded back to 17.6. Is the newer Kodi version 20.2 better about that? Or is the Kodi era for downloaded torrents gone so I better look elsewere?
kodi does not facilitate downloading files from torrent or otherwise so that would be the function from an addon, you would need to locate the developer of your addon for assistance with it

make sure you have familiarized yourself with the Forum Rules and the piracy policy you may also review the example list of Banned Add-ons (wiki) (but the list is only an example and can be amended at any time)
Hi, thank you very much for your answer. I will take a close look to the links.
(2023-08-19, 14:54)Captorx Wrote: [ -> ]not all my downloaded (torrents) showed up in more recent Kodi versions.
Kodi software has no download facility, as jepsizofye mentioned, consult with support for the add-ons or scripts you are engaging. I should note failure to scrape is likely a nomenclature issue, bad file names, not dated etc. Naming video files/Movies (wiki) and Naming video files/TV shows (wiki) conventions.
Thanks for your answer PatK.
I have used the same add-on as when I had 17.6 in several different newer versions. With version 17.6 I get more hits. I would say almost 100%. When I downgraded back to 17.6 from 19.xx I used the same add-on again as in version 19.xx and the 100% hits came back to ver. 17.6. You still think it is because of the add-on?
I am using The MovieDB and TVDB only for this. And when I look in Kodi 17.6 just now it says "broken" but it still work fine. I can see all my movies ant TV-shows. What does broken mean? No connection with the database server? But it works...
Kodi has moved from python 2 to python 3 support (BTW: with a 3 year notice) and in some cases these 3rd party add-ons, overlays etc are not backward compatible. When scraping becomes an issue, check that you have the latest scrapers, Krypton python 2 scrapers are soon to be depreciated. ATM scraping may seem fully functional, you will be at the mercy of those web database one day if not sooner.  When an add-on is marked broken, would mean that it's function is crippled, and likely not for you, but may still function to some degree.
Dear PatK,
Thank you very much for the explanation. It is very much appretiated. Look like 17.6 not work 100% with Windows 11. I have tried many setting and updated DivX and reinstalled and so on. Most of the times it works well but then there comes a movie were it start to stutter and sound dissapears after about 25 minutes in to the movie. And then I have to exit Kodi and start again and it will work for some time again and then the stuttering comes back. But then some movies and tv-shows are unaffected. I have not found the red line why this is happening. I have enough RAM. 32 I think and I am not allowing hardware acceleration DXVA2 but I have tried that too.
So I guess I have to try out the version 20.2 soon. Don´t know if there is a gain in changing player to something else like Plex or Pot or something if the scraper is the problem and not the player. I have checked out on the net what there is other than Kodi. Of course I can always use VLC or something but so boring. I have used Kodi for a very long time from the first days of XBMC and I love it. So I would really hate to go out and find something else :-)
I could of course downgrade to Windows 10 again but that feels not good too. I have one more player installed: JRiver media center. I only use that for music but I could of course use that for the movies as well. But as I mentioned before I love Kodi so not easy to change :-). I hurts in my bones. I will try out the newest version again before I bite the bullet and change to something else.
(2023-08-26, 11:11)Captorx Wrote: [ -> ]I can always use VLC or something but so boring.
You can have all the benefits of Kodi with boring VLC using External players (wiki) but I would recommend updating to a more modern Kodi installation and start naming your media properly.
Yes, I will try out the latest Kodi. About naming properly the problem is  there are so many of them. About the filename as far I can see it look correct. In my case there are the dots between as you probably already understood. And there is more info after the name.

For example: "Blade.Runner.2049.20017.1080p.Bluray.x264-RAPIDCOWS".
In wiki the name is "Blade Runner 2049 (2017)".

Should my example not be able to find by the info scrapers? Must it be exactly like the wiki example? I was thinking the dots have the same meaning as space when searching and that info that comes after the filename and year is of no interest too as the movie is identified already by the first words: "Blade.Runner.2049.20017".

Must it be exactly as wiki says? I remember vaguely that i have try that already about 3 years ago with version 19.xx and the movies was still not found by TMDB.

It is interesting about using external players within Kodi. Over my head but maybe I would be able to learn about that coding.
(2023-08-27, 12:09)Captorx Wrote: [ -> ]About naming properly the problem is  there are so many of them
Entertain a 3rd party renaming program Supplemental tools (wiki) TMM comes to mind as a standalone program. Naming video files/Movies (wiki) keeping Movie Name (Year) - This is the correct naming format for both the movie files and movie folders. Note the year is bracketed, and seems to eliminate scarper confusion when other numbers are in the title. Dots & Dashes are acceptable, but you are depending on the scraper to handle this 'dots are dots, not spaces, hyphens are not spaces'; I prefer exact nomenclature as the wiki suggests; being aware that some dates can be a year off... (and throw the scraper for a loop) depending on release in various countries. Odd-ball chr$ can also be a stumbling block, I often check titling with the scrapers web listing (e.g. IMDB in the browser) should there be any doubt.

Note: The Movie Title vs. Movie Title can be the source of confusion with some scrapers, throw in the lack or alt release (date) and you have a failure to scrape; is this a Kodi fault? There are other complexities such as File Stacking for ISO files, split files, Bluray, DVD folders and stub files and with the changing attitudes of web based libraries for software programs utilizing their resources, scraping becomes a large matter of concern (there are threads following scrapers here). Also regex modifications in advancedsettings.xml (wiki)

I forcefully suggest you look at a renaming program, with the eye for drag & drop capabilities, you'll be able to clean up in an afternoon for smooth sailing.
Dear PatK,

Thank you very much again! I don´t know how to thank you for taking all this time to help me out! I will look into all the links and especially into the Supplemental tools. Look like there are others as well that are interesting.
For some reason 17.6 seems to work OK at the moment. I know of course that this is only a matter of time before I get problem again. But that give me time to check all the links and possibilities without stress. I think it is no good idea to have 2 versions of Kodi at the same time on the hard drive. I guess they will interact with each other. Maybe if 20.2 is a portable version? Then I could play around and make some testing and at the same time be able to watch a movie on the 17.6 version. For some reason TV-shows seems to work fine all the time. Movies not all the time but mostly.
Look like there are endless additional settings to do by advancedsettings.xml.
(2023-08-28, 15:55)Captorx Wrote: [ -> ]17.6 seems to work OK at the moment.
I guess you don't enjoy 4K 10 bit h265 etc., equipment upgrade Smile
(2023-08-28, 15:55)Captorx Wrote: [ -> ]think it is no good idea to have 2 versions of Kodi at the same time
I enjoy around 8 versions in portable mode on different drives, no issues or conflicts. (just be sure the shortcut launch with -p and path is correct).

Time for you to tinker with Portable mode (wiki) just be sure to not run the program until you have the shortcut modified, and while you're at it...bring in the 3rd party manager and have a dust up.
Pages: 1 2