Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Subtitle always off
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Forum.

I have Kodi 20.2 on Shield TV and now i find out small bug. When i watching TV series, i turn on my subtitles and choose the option to keep this status for all video. When i turn off the Shield TV off or even Exit Kodi and run Kodi or Shield again the status of subtitles still off.
Which group in guisettings.xml i can manually turn on the flag to activate this future?
Thank you for support.
Any helpHuh
Please don't bump - it's been less than 24 hours.
I have the same problem which I have complained about before on occasions

I am partially hearing impaired and need subtitles on most of the time But I am a simple user – I need subtitles on the category of broadcast and recorded TV. These subtitles are embedded and in the UK typically done via teletext (as I understand it)

What I cannot do for this category is to set subtitles on permanently. I have to do it every time I change channels, every time I start watching another recording

So each time I have to press OK, press left twice, Press Enable Subtitles, press Close, Press Back

Now I know what you are going to say. I should also scroll down the settings menu and select Enable this for All Media. But this DOES NOT WORK for broadcast TV and recordings. Please can someone kindly fix this?

My settings are: Enable Parsing for Closed Captions
Subtitle language English
Subtitle storage: Next to Video
Auto download first subtitle – On
Teletext enabled

My hub is VU+ UNO4KSE Satellite with Open Vix, My PVR settings use Enigma (Dreambox/VU+) and my skin is Estury
What about Settings > Player settings> Accessibility > Prefer subtitles for the hearing impaired?
Thanks Hitcher.  One would expect that would work.  But it doesn't.  In fact I am not sure what the true purpose of that option is.  But in my case I have to turn subtitles on each time and on every channel change.  I also  have to do it when the sound track changes from 5.1 to stereo and then back to 5.1 (e.g. Channel 4 HD always has adverts in stereo)
this is not an easy accomplishment

even if subtitles are enabled by default for "all files", any files played when this was not default have copied the default for themselves into the database and will not follow the default any longer

there is need to set the preference of subtitle language in Settings -> Player -> Language -> Preferred subtitle language

manually, with kodi *not* running, in guisettings.xml under <defaultvideosettings>, setting <showsubtitles>true</showsubtitles>

but i believe this is set when you select "set as default for all media" from within kodi so manually shouldnt be needed

this should enable all newly (never before played) played media to default to On

it will not affect files which have been played previously as they have their settings already set into the database in the 'settings' table, settings are set by FileId from the defaults at first play

there might be some use in an addon that turns them on based on rules, those rules can be set generically as to affect all files - https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=153783

i dont use it personally but it seems it will do what is needed if it works as advertised
Thank you jepsizofye .  Computers are amazing things are they not?  At best they make things easier for us struggling humans.  I run Kodi on a Nvidia Shield.  It uses AI to do a very good job of upscaling video to UHD.  And yet... And Yet - why is having subtitles always on so difficult?

The Add-on you mentioned has apparently been around for more than 10 years but has still not been accepted by the Kodi upper ranks to be listed as an add-on.  And I get the impression that the authors of the Kodi official wiki on subtitles seem unaware of the problem of setting subtitles always on when they are embedded

I have a depressing feeling that this simple issue is something that is not going to be sorted
I have now posted until Feature Requests asking for this issue to be addressed