Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Nvidia Shield + Kodi + Lossless Audio.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Trying to get lossless audio to work with Kodi (works with other players). Does Kodi support all lossless formats? 

So far all I see from my soundbar is PCM. 

Shield > Soundbar > TV is my setup. 

Is there a settings guide somewhere? 

What I see via Kodi: 

Advanced settings > channels > 2.0. My soundbar claims 9.1.2 so I guess I change it to that?

I've enabled "Allow passthrough"

Do I enable Dolby Digital Plus capable receiver, DTS capable receiver, TrueHD capable receiver, DTS-HD capable receiver?

Anything else I'm missing?
(2023-08-20, 11:38)Fennec Wrote: [ -> ]Do I enable Dolby Digital Plus capable receiver, DTS capable receiver, TrueHD capable receiver, DTS-HD capable receiver?
Yes.
(2023-08-20, 12:23)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-08-20, 11:38)Fennec Wrote: [ -> ]Do I enable Dolby Digital Plus capable receiver, DTS capable receiver, TrueHD capable receiver, DTS-HD capable receiver?
Yes.

Ok, thanks. Got a few more questions if you have time... My soundbar is 9.1.2 and Kodi only allows 7.1. From what I read, a 9.1.2 system adds a pair of front wide speakers to a 7.1. Will this cause audio playback issues? 
Apart from turning on passthrough and enabling those codecs, are there any other settings somewhere that I'm unaware of that I should tweak/turn on? Also, is it difficult to get Kodi to auto-detect these codecs/passthrough and enable them by default?
(2023-08-20, 14:24)Fennec Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-08-20, 12:23)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]
Yes.

Ok, thanks. Got a few more questions if you have time... My soundbar is 9.1.2 and Kodi only allows 7.1. From what I read, a 9.1.2 system adds a pair of front wide speakers to a 7.1. Will this cause audio playback issues? 
Apart from turning on passthrough and enabling those codecs, are there any other settings somewhere that I'm unaware of that I should tweak/turn on? Also, is it difficult to get Kodi to auto-detect these codecs/passthrough and enable them by default?

The channels setting does not affect passthrough audio so you will get all the channels that the audio track has to offer. As long as you enable support for the formats your AVR supports Kodi will remember your settings so just set it and forget it Smile
(2023-08-20, 14:57)SoulReaver Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-08-20, 14:24)Fennec Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-08-20, 12:23)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]Yes.

The channels setting does not affect passthrough audio so you will get all the channels that the audio track has to offer. As long as you enable support for the formats your AVR supports Kodi will remember your settings so just set it and forget it Smile

So, I don't need to change the setting from 2 channels to 7.1?
(2023-08-21, 00:11)Fennec Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-08-20, 14:57)SoulReaver Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-08-20, 14:24)Fennec Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, thanks. Got a few more questions if you have time... My soundbar is 9.1.2 and Kodi only allows 7.1. From what I read, a 9.1.2 system adds a pair of front wide speakers to a 7.1. Will this cause audio playback issues? 

So, I don't need to change the setting from 2 channels to 7.1?

No.
Not for passthrough formats but best to set it to 7.1 to get Multichannel PCM in case it's ever required.
(2023-08-20, 11:38)Fennec Wrote: [ -> ]Trying to get lossless audio to work with Kodi (works with other players). Does Kodi support all lossless formats? 

So far all I see from my soundbar is PCM. 

Shield > Soundbar > TV is my setup. 

Is there a settings guide somewhere? 

What I see via Kodi: 

Advanced settings > channels > 2.0. My soundbar claims 9.1.2 so I guess I change it to that?

I've enabled "Allow passthrough"

Do I enable Dolby Digital Plus capable receiver, DTS capable receiver, TrueHD capable receiver, DTS-HD capable receiver?

Anything else I'm missing?

There’s no such thing as anything beyond 7.1. When it comes to audiotrack. That’s the max channel count licensed codecs like Dolby, DTS codecs will support. Also, when you set Kodi to 7.1 you’re mainly indicating that setting for L/PCM 7.1. That’s for when you play a movie or any audio track containing AAC, FLAC, OPUS, etc 5.1/7.1. Kodi will send the audio as LPCM to your Soundbar, that way you don’t miss the surround aspect.

Going back to the 7.1 channel count, as I said that’s the max count any Digital or physical source will support. When an AVR, Soundbar receiver claims channels beyond 7.1. Say, 9.1.2, 9.2.4, 11.2.6, etc. That work is done by the licensed Dolby Surround and DTS-Neural-X Upmixers.Those are the responsables of making any 2.0, 5.1, 7.1 audio tracks and Upmix it to the max count speakers the Soundbar has or AVR setup. If the max count is just 7.1 then the upmixers will Upmix everything that’s below 7.1 to 7.1. If in your case the Soundbar has 9.1.2 speakers then anything that’s below that speaker count will get upmixed to 9.1.2, including 7.1 audio tracks.

Hope this helps you understand better.

Btw, my suggestion is putting the channel output in the Kodi setting to 7.1 instead of leaving it in 2.0. That way any audio track played that contains AAC 5.1/7.1, FLAC 5.1/7.1, OPUS 5.1/7.1, etc. Gets played correctly in LPCM 5.1 or 7.1 respectively. And don’t worry your receiver which in your case is the Soundbar it will additionally Upmix that audio further to 9.1.2 using Dolby Surround or DTS upmixer, depending on which of the two the manufacture set to be used when the source of audio is L/PCM. 👍

Edited: in the Passthrough, you’ll ONLY enable all of the codecs compatible with your Soundbar. Since it’s 9.1.2 then I suspect it might support all of codecs from Dolby and DTS. You can always double check with the manual that came with it or looking up in the website of the brand and checking your specific model, then checking the specs of it.