Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Stuttery video playback with Kodi 20.2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With Kodi 20.2 i experience occasional stutter with my UHD BluRay rips.

Everything have been smooth video playback-wise since i bought this setup back in May 2021, with Kodi 19.4 and 19.5 there was no issues.
No issues with Kodi 20.0 and 20.1 either but with 20.2 things are not smooth anymore. Throughout a movie i get this 1 seconds stutter/"hickup", like the frame drops or something, can be fine for 30sec-1min and stutter again. I also notice that the spinning disc (discart) when pressing "i" to bring down the info panel is very stuttery, and pressing "o" to bring down the panel for Audio/Video info is also not very smooth. Reverting back to 20.1, no more stutter, the spinning discart is much much smoother and pressing "o" brings down the info panel smoothly.

Find this very strange, has there been any major updates to the 20.2? Anyone else experience this?

My setup:
AMD Ryzen R7 5700G Apu
16GB 3866Mhz DDR4
Windows 11 Home
LG OLED CX 77
Yamaha RX-A3070 Receiver
I suggest you post a debug log. In my signature there's a link. For regular debug you can look at the second post in that discussion, for instructions.
Ok, i'll see if i can do that!
Ok, after enabling logging and seeing the actual fps watching a movie, i know what the problem is.

With Kodi 20.2 the FPS stays at 60fps and dont sync to 24fps.

With Kodi 20.1 this works correct, the fps sync to 24fps. I have triple checked the settings (Adjust display refresh rate) and its exactly the same on 20.1 as 20.2.

Here is the log file

https://paste.kodi.tv/losebobomu.kodi
Found this thread with the same issue

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=373873

This has apparantly been fixed in a nightly build. 

If you ask me, this is such a major flaw in 20.2 as it should either be re-released with the 60fps bug fixed or pushing a 20.3 release asap.
(2023-09-08, 11:54)Simkin84 Wrote: [ -> ]flaw in 20.2 as it should either be re-released with the 60fps bug fixed or pushing a 20.3 release
Omega is in Alpha stage 21.0a3; there is a very good chance that some regressions may occur. As such, please be aware that installing this will most likely break things, and we'd really like your help at that point to identify the problems and get them fixed.

Please raise Github issues with full debug logs to help us resolve any issues you wonderful testers come across.

Over the last couple of months we've merged 120 pull requests - fixing issues, adding features, and improving Kodi.
(2023-09-08, 11:54)Simkin84 Wrote: [ -> ]Found this thread with the same issue

If you ask me, this is such a major flaw in 20.2 as it should either be re-released with the 60fps bug fixed or pushing a 20.3 release asap.
I don't know how many users are affected (which impacts release decisions), but in the interim you could try the latest Kodi 20/Nexus nightly (as of this writing from changes through 20230905).

scott s.
The history is a bit complicated but this issue was created by the fix of another issue of AMD, then partially reverted. We didn't have all the information due to lack of testing on AMD + Win11 and with your help we could figure this out.
With v20.1, can you please run the following test.
- If Kodi is running, stop it
- In Windows settings, turn HDR ON for the screen
- Start Kodi
- In Kodi, set the Player setting "Use HDR capabilities" to OFF
- Play SDR file > the picture should be normal
- Play HDR file > is the picture normal or way too bright/saturated?
(2023-09-09, 04:57)CrystalP Wrote: [ -> ]With v20.1, can you please run the following test.
- If Kodi is running, stop it
- In Windows settings, turn HDR ON for the screen
- Start Kodi
- In Kodi, set the Player setting "Use HDR capabilities" to OFF
- Play SDR file > the picture should be normal
- Play HDR file > is the picture normal or way too bright/saturated?
Ok, i tested this on 20.1 now.

SDR looked normal.
HDR was too bright/saturated.
(2023-09-09, 01:14)CrystalP Wrote: [ -> ]The history is a bit complicated but this issue was created by the fix of another issue of AMD, then partially reverted. We didn't have all the information due to lack of testing on AMD + Win11 and with your help we could figure this out.

I see. From other posts here on the forum, this issue was also on nvidia and windows 10
(2023-09-08, 23:45)scott967 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-09-08, 11:54)Simkin84 Wrote: [ -> ]Found this thread with the same issue

I don't know how many users are affected (which impacts release decisions), but in the interim you could try the latest Kodi 20/Nexus nightly (as of this writing from changes through 20230905).

scott s.

Any downsides to installing nighty? instabilities etc?
(2023-09-10, 15:59)Simkin84 Wrote: [ -> ]downsides to installing nighty? instabilities etc?
Catch the bulletins in the blog, https://kodi.tv/blog/ and read the information packets in the download section.

Taken from the download section: Nightly builds are made on a daily basis and contain the most recent changes. These should be considered unstable for daily usage and should only be used by testers and advanced users to help us find possible bugs. These builds may occasionally be unstable, so be sure to always backup before using a development/nightly build.

If you want a stable setup, then please install a stable build from the Recommended tab instead.
(2023-09-10, 15:48)Simkin84 Wrote: [ -> ]SDR looked normal.
It means that the color space problem found for AMD in Windows 10 also exists in Windows 11 unfortunately.

AMD on Windows 11 has both the color space issue of AMD and the refresh rate loss of Windows 11 when recreating a swap chain, requiring a different fix than what was done for Intel and nVidia.

I have an AMD gpu but no Windows 11 and it's difficult to create a fix blind.
This is a real bug, you can create an issue on github (bug tracker link in forum top bar) and I'll confirm its validity.

edit: a nightly 20 or 21 won't help you.
(2023-09-11, 19:59)CrystalP Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-09-10, 15:48)Simkin84 Wrote: [ -> ]SDR looked normal.
It means that the color space problem found for AMD in Windows 10 also exists in Windows 11 unfortunately.

AMD on Windows 11 has both the color space issue of AMD and the refresh rate loss of Windows 11 when recreating a swap chain, requiring a different fix than what was done for Intel and nVidia.

I have an AMD gpu but no Windows 11 and it's difficult to create a fix blind.
This is a real bug, you can create an issue on github (bug tracker link in forum top bar) and I'll confirm its validity.

edit: a nightly 20 or 21 won't help you.

Ok, i have submitted a issue on github.

Im not very technical, but videos seems fine for me colorwise (SDR and HDR) on both 20.1 and 20.2. Im using 20.1 now until this issue is resolved.