Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Sony A95L (new Mediatek Pentonic 1000 chipset)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Wanted to start a thread on some of the issues I have noticed with the new Sony A95L which is one of the first TV's that utilize the new Mediatek Pentonic 1000 chipset.

When doing a library update there seemed to be a leak of some sort because after that any HDR content would have frame drops even in youtube or youtube TV until I would force close the kodi application.

Also when looking at the system information in Kodi it would show crazy numbers on the memory used etc, so I am guessing there are some issues with Kodi properly detecting the hardware on this new chipset.
Nevermind it seems this never works on smart TV's and is why everyone uses external players such as Nvidia Shield.

Sucks we have to do this in the year 2023 but whatever.
fact is tv manufacturers really only add android/webos to boost sales because they think that's what users want - no more thought into it than making a decision on a silver vs black bezel

once you buy the tv the sale is done and even if the feature is only mildly usable it's out of their warehouses so who cares

while people who are making streaming boxes have only the streaming device to market and so if it has 1 job it really needs to be good

discounting low end manufacturers who just make "good enough" devices for the marketing perspective that tv makers have
Given you didn't provide the necessary logs showing versions, plugins, errors etc not much can be done to help you but this might apply https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/23786
Honestly after finding out that DTS-HD and TrueHD will never work on native apps I have decided to just give up on this effort and go back to the shield and utilize pass through.
It works on a 2 years old tcl TV no problem. Fast enough and only thing which is missing is true-hd sound source. DTS:X also works like a harm so say thank you to sony 😜
I rather watch on build in system with kodi app than coreelec. Most released sources are only from streaming services with atmos applied to dd+ and it works like it should.
This would be the first case of this happening if true. Care to post proof?

I would love to be proven wrong but everywhere I look this isn't possible on native TV apps
What would you like to see as proof ? Want me to record video where I'm starting movie including dts:x sound ? 
I'm telling you it's sony to blame not google itself. It was always like that. Sony is worst thing what happened to a streaming world Wink
I would love to blame Sony as well but I have seen multiple people say this is just not supported on native TV apps.

People owning LG's (when DTS passthrough is supported) saying this isn't possible as well.

BTW the Sony does send the signal to my receiver it's just that there is audio dropouts and audio stuttering, video stays fine.
i am all for everyone using whatever device they like but -

at what point is it more expensive in time spent than just buying a device that actually works?

whats a decent device cost? ~$125? ~$150?

how much would you make an per hour spent fixing a device that doesn't work?

assuming everyone has a decent income a new device would be paid for in under 5 hours of billable hours, less than an 8 hour day for most people

some people are lucky enough to have an income that would pay for a new device in half of that time

but, people insist on spending days trying to make a device work instead of buying a device that already works

/end opinion
(2023-10-08, 18:01)bigjohns97 Wrote: [ -> ]I would love to blame Sony as well but I have seen multiple people say this is just not supported on native TV apps.

The likes of Netflix, Disney and Amazon do not provide streams with anything better than DD+ with Atmos, thus the TV manufacturers rarely include support for the lossless codecs in the TV OS. When comes to GoogleTV it has the capability, so it's simply down to whether the manufacturer is motivated to enable it.
I largely agree with that - but the "tinker" factor can't be ignored. I sort of like noodling about with configuring/optimizing/experimenting with my Kodi experience and I'd probably be shocked if I actually knew how many hours over the years I've done that.
(2023-10-08, 23:14)selfcontained Wrote: [ -> ]I largely agree with that - but the "tinker" factor can't be ignored. I sort of like noodling about with configuring/optimizing/experimenting with my Kodi experience and I'd probably be shocked if I actually knew how many hours over the years I've done that.

i tinker as well, i have put up a few threads in the hardware section where i bought something tinkered it to death then found it wouldn't do what i want and then go back to my default

not exactly the same scenario as insisting the device do something it won't

-----

i would rather not think about how many hours ive spent reverse engineering something just to see how it works, try to improve it, fail and begin again - it's more or less a hobby for me as i like it more than fishing etc.
Yeah I've enjoyed your posts - and for sure, I don't expect hardware or even Android to do things it cannot - but squeezing more out of what is there is sometimes worth it. Maybe that's why I lurk in the CoreELEC forums - they'll (probably) never get DV HDR profile 7 with FEL even with devices with the requisite Android blobs, but how far they've pushed AMLogic SoCs with and without Android on an eMMC is pretty amazing. Reminds me of the "good ol' days" of 2014 when the MINIX NEO X6 and WeTek Core were breaking new grounds almost daily with new capabilities (again both with Android and OpenELEC.)
I am using Kodi application on Sony Android TV (85XH9096) without any issues. I'm only ripping my 2k blu-ray movies to a NAS though, as using Kodi application with 4k movies results in a bad picture quality as it seems to do 2160p>1080p>2160p. If the movie has 5.1 audio I convert it to AC3 and DTS:X or Atmos to AAC 7.1. 1080p movies on the internal app plays perfectly smoothly and even with pgs subtitles, so I don't have to do pgs to srt conversion and spend time fixing ocr results. With the AAC 7.1 audio my soundbar shows something like DTS Neural X. Anyway, I'm very happy with the convenience with "normal" blurays and I personally can't hear that much difference between lossless audio and AAC with max bitrate that is available in DVDFab. Then again, my audio equipment isn't really high end, JBL 9.1.

For 4k movies I have a Panasonic player.
Pages: 1 2