Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No Artwork in Movie Sets
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just moved from Leia 18.8 to a fresh install of Nexum 20.2 using Aeon Nox Silvo in Windows 10 Pro.

After completing the steps below, the Movie Set Info folder is empty, so no folders were created as expected.

1) Movie Set Information Folder to SMB://Server3/Video/Movie Set Info.
2) Configured AD as detailed on the 1st page of this thread.
Media Types to process: movie, set, tvshow, season, episode
3) Ran AD "download existing artwork for all video library items"

After trying the above steps with no luck, I then quit Kodi and reopened, then did an Update Library with AD set to "Scan for artwork updates to the video library after library updates".

BTW, in AD Advanced settings there an item called "Disable Artwork Dump context items (per skin)" with no options.

Here are the logs from a fresh open of Kodi and Update Library. I could not use pastebin because the log file exceed the max size, even though I did nothing other than open kodi and run Update Library.
@CaptainKen

When you moved to v20.2, did you install fresh or did you install over the top of v18.8?
How have you added the media to your library- have you scraped them or used nfo files?
(2023-10-25, 22:03)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]@CaptainKen

When you moved to v20.2, did you install fresh or did you install over the top of v18.8?
How have you added the media to your library- have you scraped them or used nfo files?

Thank you for your response.

I uninstalled 18.8, including deleting the program and appdata folders.

I have all local nfo and artwork files created with Ember Media Manager.
(2023-10-26, 01:42)CaptainKen Wrote: [ -> ]I have all local nfo and artwork files created with Ember Media Manager.
Shouldn't Ember Media Manager be creating and populating the movie set folder with the artwork?
Open your nfo file. Are there any artwork links? If no, then Artwork Dump can't download anything.
(2023-10-26, 01:50)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-10-26, 01:42)CaptainKen Wrote: [ -> ]I have all local nfo and artwork files created with Ember Media Manager.
Shouldn't Ember Media Manager be creating and populating the movie set folder with the artwork?
Open your nfo file. Are there any artwork links? If no, then Artwork Dump can't download anything.

I have nfo files for each movie that's part of a set with <set></set> in each. All movies for a set are in their own folder within applicable parent set folder. I don't have nfo file for the parent of each "set". Does each parent of sets need an nfo? IE: Transformers Collection.nfo

I'm under the impression that AD creates a folder in the Movie Set Info folder for each movie that's part of a set and then copies existing local files from the original movie folder into it. Therefore, no reason for a movie.nfo to have links to artwork. v18 didn't require links in nfo's.

"It only downloads artwork already added to your libraries by scrapers, NFO files, or other add-ons. For Kodi 19 Matrix and newer. Artwork Dump does not add new artwork to your Kodi library."
(2023-10-26, 02:15)CaptainKen Wrote: [ -> ]Does each parent of sets need an nfo? IE: Transformers Collection.nfo
No, there is no movieset type artwork used by Kodi. It is all contained the the movie nfo file.

(2023-10-26, 02:15)CaptainKen Wrote: [ -> ]'m under the impression that AD creates a folder in the Movie Set Info folder for each movie that's part of a set and then copies existing local files from the original movie folder into it
No.
AD downloads artwork from links obtained during the normal scraping process, or the links in the nfo files. It does nothing with any of your existing files. It is a downloader only.
Because you have no links in your nfo files, you can't use AD as one of the methods to create your Movie Set Information Folder.
As I said earlier... Ember Media Manager should be doing this for you. Because you are using Ember, you have no need for Artwork Dump.

Just to ensure you understand what the Movie Set Information Folder is... https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_set_information_folder
(2023-10-26, 02:42)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]AD downloads artwork from links obtained during the normal scraping process, or the links in the nfo files. It does nothing with any of your existing files. It is a downloader only.
Because you have no links in your nfo files, you can't use AD as one of the methods to create your Movie Set Information Folder.
As I said earlier... Ember Media Manager should be doing this for you. Because you are using Ember, you have no need for Artwork Dump.

Just to ensure you understand what the Movie Set Information Folder is... https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_set_information_folder

Sorry, I'm not comprehending your explanation, since everything I read indicates the opposite.

Thank you for the MSIF link, but I had already read that, which is what lead me here. "Artwork Dump is the v19 replacement of Artwork Beef and is the recommended method for creating the MSIF sub-folders." Based on this statement, the only way to get movie set artwork recognized is use AD to create the representative movie folders within the MSIF as well as copy the existing local artwork into each.

AD page states "It only downloads artwork already added to your libraries by scrapers, NFO files, or other add-ons." This leads me to believe that links within nfo files are not needed, because the artwork already add by scraper (Ember?) or other add-ons will be used. The statement is ambiguous in that it uses the term "download" as well as stating it using local artwork. The term download, I took to mean "copy".

Additionally, the MSIF page states as follows, of which I meet all criteria. No mention of links within movie.nfo, but rather that fanart, poster, clearart, etc must exist.

The third step is to create your movie set sub-folders which will contain the local artwork. There are a few ways to accomplish this as listed below. Choose the method that best suits your setup. Regardless of which method you choose, the following requirements apply:
* The Movie Set Information Folder must contain movie set sub-folders.
* The movie set sub-folder must be named exactly as the collection is named in the Kodi library. The name you see in Kodi or in an NFO file is the name you use.
* Artwork in each movie set folder must be named in the short format. eg fanart, poster, clearart etc See image 1 above.

Here's an example Image of my layout. Based on the MSIF page, a folder called "Transformers Collection" would be created and the existing fanart.jpg and poster.jpg for the set folder would be copied into it.

EDIT: Ignore the "Transformers - The Last Knight (2017)" within the same folder. I was test things and forgot to delete it.
(2023-10-26, 03:43)CaptainKen Wrote: [ -> ]"Artwork Dump is the v19 replacement of Artwork Beef and is the recommended method for creating the MSIF sub-folders."
Hmm, not sure why I did not add a note in there to explain when it won't work. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
That is done now... https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_set_informa...twork_Dump

(2023-10-26, 03:43)CaptainKen Wrote: [ -> ]"It only downloads artwork already added to your libraries by scrapers, NFO files, or other add-ons." This leads me to believe that links within nfo files are not needed, because the artwork already add by scraper (Ember?) or other add-ons will be used.
Fixed that quote also.
Ok so let me be clear...
Artwork Dump requires artwork links to work. If you have used a media manager, then Artwork Dump (1) will not work for you and (2) is not needed because the media manager does what AD is meant to do.'
Your setup will not work with artwork dump. So forget about this addon. You don't need it because you are using a media manager.

Now, if your media manager is not creating the movie set subfolders for you, then you most likely have not enabled the setting for it and/or not added the location of the movie set information folder, both in Kodi and in the media manager.
https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Media/Vi...ion_folder

Your image shows that your setup is wrong. Please read the MSIF wiki page I linked earlier and follow the steps to set it up. There should be no movie files in these folders.

The Movie Set Information Folder does not contain any movie files.
@CaptainKen

A quick search shows Ember can create the Movie Set Information Folder.... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3082964
In the following posts it explains how to migrate to the new system.

Let me know if the movie set folder and the movie set information folder is still tripping you up.
(2023-10-26, 05:12)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]@CaptainKen

A quick search shows Ember can create the Movie Set Information Folder.... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3082964
In the following posts it explains how to migrate to the new system.

Let me know if the movie set folder and the movie set information folder is still tripping you up.

@Karellen Sorry I took so long to respond, but I never got a notice for your last comment. Awesome that you found that Ember link.

I had ended up using xcopy to recreate SubFolders contained in my "Movie Sets" source folder, which had the added benefit of copying the *.jpg Movie Set artwork. So now as you can see here I have the MSIF folder populated correctly and how Kodi & AD are configured. However, still no movie set artwork showing in Kodi after an Update Library.
(2023-11-01, 05:06)CaptainKen Wrote: [ -> ]So now as you can see here I have the MSIF folder populated correctly and how Kodi & AD are configured
Looks good so far. But what I also need to see is the Movie Set listing in Kodi. So go to the Sets node to show a list of your movie set library and post that. (showing 48hrs to Batman collections)
The major issue is that your MSIF subfolders need to be named exactly as the movie set in the Kodi library.
For example, you have the Alien and Predator Collection, but in your library maybe it is Alien Collection or Alien & Predator Collection.

(2023-11-01, 05:06)CaptainKen Wrote: [ -> ]However, still no movie set artwork showing in Kodi after an Update Library.
Running an Update Library won't populate the Kodi library artwork. You need to delete one of the movies from the set and scrape/scan it back in, and at the same time the scanner will search for the MSIF subfolder.
Movies are named exactly the same in both locations since I used VBScript to populate Excel with a list of folders to then paste into a batch file using xCopy to create the files and folders. I did confirm "Alien and Predator Collection" was the same in both places as one example.

Kinda great news, I deleted one of the American Pie movies and then did an update library, and now only that collection artwork is displaying as expected.

Here's a screen shot in Sets node for "The Addams Family" through "Atlas Shrugged".

I'm hoping I don't have to delete one movie from every collection?

Is there a supported nfo format for movie sets to show the Info Panel containing the plot and stuff? Perhaps just a stripped down version of what a movie has?
Instead of actually deleting (or moving) it, I think you can just remove it from the library via the context menu, and it should accomplish the same thing the next time you scan.
@CaptainKen

I've split your posts out of Artwork Dump as it was not really an Artwork Dump issue.

(2023-11-01, 06:02)CaptainKen Wrote: [ -> ]Kinda great news, I deleted one of the American Pie movies and then did an update library, and now only that collection artwork is displaying as expected.
Great!! Now it should be working as expected.

(2023-11-01, 06:02)CaptainKen Wrote: [ -> ]I'm hoping I don't have to delete one movie from every collection?
Yep, you will need to.

(2023-11-01, 06:27)Tarkus_ Wrote: [ -> ]Instead of actually deleting (or moving) it, I think you can just remove it from the library via the context menu
Yes, that is what I meant. It only needs to be deleted from the library, not moved or deleted from your hard drive.

(2023-11-01, 06:02)CaptainKen Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a supported nfo format for movie sets
No.
Sets data is contained in the movie nfo file and uses the following tags....
xml:
<set>
<name>Kingsman Collection</name>
<overview>The story of a super-secret spy organization that recruits an unrefined but promising street kid into the agency&apos;s ultra-competitive training program.</overview>
</set>
And the Kodi scrapers will scrape the set data also.
Well thanks again for your ongoing help, it's really appreciated. Just sucks having to remove 312 movies, so tedious.

I see the entry now in the movie.nfo files for the plot. However, the overview isn't showing in the Info Panel for the movie sets. It appears that the year shown is that of the newest movie in the set.

ImageImage

<set>
<name>American Pie Collection</name>
<overview>American Pie is a series of sex comedy films. The first film in the series was released in 1999, by Universal Pictures, and became a worldwide pop culture phenomenon, cult following amongst young people.

The second and third films were released at two-year intervals, whereas the fourth film was released in 2012.

A spin-off film series titled American Pie Presents, which includes four direct-to-video films was released from 2005 to 2009. Why settle for one slice of pie when you can have five? This over-the-top, outrageous quintet of American Pie Presents movies includes Band Camp, The Naked Mile, Beta House, The Book of Love and Girls Rule which follows the hilarious and heart-warming antics of Erik Stifler and the Stifler clan. Whether itΓÇÖs spending a summer at the infamous band camp, running a mile in the buff, pledging a raucous fraternity, discovering the Book of Love, or learning the girls' rules, the laughs just keep coming in this sexy and sidesplitting five-movie collection.</overview>
</set>
Pages: 1 2