Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How easy would it be to convert python 3 addons to python 2, for Kodi 17?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Recent API changes announced for OpenSubtitles are bringing the Kodi DSPlayer (stuck at 17.6) experience to a main junction point.

So far, as long as scrapers and subtitles plugins worked... the experience was more or less complete (at least for my needs).

But if python v2 addons are made invalid by sources changes (which sooner or later were bound to happen), Kodi without scrapers would be frustrating. For subtitles as well. For scrapers I could decide to go the external media manager way and handle stuff through .nfo. I don't love that but still it's an alternative.

For subs, though, there would be no solution. Hence my question.

I have seen this exists: https://pypi.org/project/3to2/ and I obviously could give it a go. I am NO python coder but for Kodi I'd be willing to learn.

Unfortunately there's still a couple of things that Kodi DSPlayer allows me to do that have no equivalent in regular Kodi.
this might be one of those questions where if you have to ask you won't like the answer

it's a safe bet that backporting the current version to 17.6 will be almost as much work as writing the entire addon

at least going 2->3 you can look up common errors on google where people have already tried to run something written in 2 on 3 but not really the other way

then taking into account changes in Kodi between 17.6 and 20.x or 21 it becomes much more challenging

the only real way to do this would be to just work through the errors as they come (after you change the python dependency number in the addon.xml)

enable dubug, install, get the error, google it, fix the error and try again