Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MECOOL KM2 PLUS Deluxe 4k video files?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thinking about buying one and wondering if I can plug an external hd ntfs formatted and play mkv 4k videos using Kodi?
(2023-11-27, 23:23)swordfish316 Wrote: [ -> ]if I can plug an external hd ntfs formatted

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comme...t/j09dzft/

(2023-11-27, 23:23)swordfish316 Wrote: [ -> ]play mkv 4k videos using Kodi
mkv being the container - yes
4k video resolution - yes
video playback - yes

there is more to "4K Video" than that, hevc, hevc main 10, avc for codecs plus SDR, HDR, HDR10+, Dolby Vision for color formats then audio considerations as most 4K videos have DTSHD-MA, DTS:X, DTSHD-MA HR, TrueHD, TrueHD+Atmos, EAC3, EAC3+Atmos

then there is also less common VP9 and AV1 video codecs

so to generically say "yes you can play 4k video" would be erroneous, you need to consider exactly what you want it to play
[font][font]Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap. Or maybe it's just me who doesn't understand something, but the maximum number of sessions = 100 (see DRM). It turns out that Netflix's license expires after watching 100 movies. And after that, please pay money. So why such a license? I doubt it's worth overpaying for such a license and getting a device with blocked recording to external media in return.[/font][/font]
[font][font]And so. MECOOL KM2 PLUS DELUXE. Not to be taken under any circumstances. 
In fact, the retail version came to ATV with the following problems:

1) HDR and HLG doesn't work on DOLBY VISION TVs on YouTube or movies. Only Dolby Vision on Netflix.
2) If the TV has HDR10+, it works on DV TVs but does not work HDR and HLG Only Dolby Vision On Netflix. 
3) Wrote to support + wrote to the team leader I'm communicating with. I was asked to record a sample, and while recording.... THE CONSOLE WENT INTO BOOTLOOP. There is no way to fix this without firmware.

Here is the setup.  Here is a video I recorded for Mikul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pygx0HmGXc0&t=1s[/font][/font]
(2024-01-06, 02:37)OpenSurse Wrote: [ -> ]And so. MECOOL KM2 PLUS DELUXE. Not to be taken under any circumstances. 
In fact, the retail version came to ATV with the following problems:

1) HDR and HLG doesn't work on DOLBY VISION TVs on YouTube or movies. Only Dolby Vision on Netflix.
2) If the TV has HDR10+, it works on DV TVs but does not work HDR and HLG Only Dolby Vision On Netflix. 
3) Wrote to support + wrote to the team leader I'm communicating with. I was asked to record a sample, and while recording.... THE CONSOLE WENT INTO BOOTLOOP. There is no way to fix this without firmware.

Here is the setup.  Here is a video I recorded for Mikul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pygx0HmGXc0&t=1s

I have sent tech support samples and logs of this issue.  Hopefully, they can correct these flaws.  Also, it does NOT passthrough Dolby TrueHD, of any form of DTS.
Don't keep your hopes up too high. It's no priority for vendors ... they have your money already ;-)
Update for Mecool KM2 Plus Deluxe to fix HDR. 
Download the update to a flash drive, copy it to the internal memory and select local update from the menu.
Also this fix will be included in the official update from Google in March. The update is already on certification.
Also this set-top box will get an update to Android TV 14 before summer.
The box can now be purchased.
Expires in 7 days 
update.zip
(2024-01-28, 21:01)OpenSurse Wrote: [ -> ]Update for Mecool KM2 Plus Deluxe to fix HDR. 
Download the update to a flash drive, copy it to the internal memory and select local update from the menu.
Also this fix will be included in the official update from Google in March. The update is already on certification.
Also this set-top box will get an update to Android TV 14 before summer.
The box can now be purchased.
Expires in 7 days 
update.zip
Thanks for the info. and the update file. Just today I've ordered this box, I will use it mainly for Kodi. How is your experience running Kodi on this box? Does it play Dolby Vision on Kodi? Any Kodi playing problems , stutter/crashes? 

Thanks
glad the HDR issues will be sorted, I just got this box and I have an lg c1 2021 and thought it was going to be unusuable to me after trying it out for a few hours

another issue I encountered was that it doesn't report the supported display modes to apps

in kodi it just shows 1080p59.940 when picking resolution

video: https://gofile.io/d/cL1zrf

and AFR in smarttube only shows the same in supported modes so that feature obviously won't work

has anyone else seen this issue

if yes, does this HDR fix also solve supported display modes not showing up in apps?

or is my unit alone with this and defective or something
need a new link to the update file please.
Me to need a new link to the update file please.