Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Backup Error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've all but given up on trying to figure this out on my own. I'm trying to backup my firestick to my 64gb fat 32 USB using the Backup App and getting this Error: Make sure the selected folder is writable and that the new folder name is valid. I've seen other people post the same error but no one has come up with a solution. Any help would be appreciated.
check the firmware version, if it's newer android then kodi does not have permission to external storage and fireos does not implement the setting via the gui

if that's the case you can try via adb

adb shell pm grant org.xbmc.kodi android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
adb shell pm grant org.xbmc.kodi android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
Thanks for the reply but I got: /system/bin/sh: adb: inaccessible or not found
Yes it's a new 4k max ...
(2023-12-26, 22:34)Gunny8762 Wrote: [ -> ]/system/bin/sh: adb: inaccessible or not found

either you ran "adb" when already inside the adb shell which is incorrect and you only need to issue pm grant ...
or you didn't install adb on your computer
Yes! I was in adb shell!! Just removed "adb shell" and it worked... Thank you!!!
excellent, so backup addon is fully functional after that?
Yes it is... honestly I spent countless hours trying to find a solution and it's not out there even though other people have posted about the same error. THIS is the solution! Thank you!
you're welcome
I spoke to soon... It worked perfect on the one firestick .. I backed up and restored on the same on just to test. I just tried restoring on another firestick and also a fire TV and I'm getting the same "Make sure the selected folder is writeable and that the new folder name is valid" ... I entered the following into Remote ADB Shell app the same as I did on the original firestick:
pm grant org.xbmc.kodi android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
pm grant org.xbmc.kodi android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE

Both firesticks are brand new. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a pretty extensive skin on the original and really don't want to try and duplicate. Thank you again!
Also tried restoring on a brand new Shield (I was planning on giving these out to family for Christmas..that's why I have so many new ones) and got same message although I didn't run the ADB command on this yet. I can backup all apps on each device and install onto the new ones from the same USB I'm attempting to backup and restore fromĀ  X-Plore.