Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Fire TV 4K max V2 Issues.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello,  hope I got the witght subforum.
I recently "upgraded" to FireTV 4K Max v2 from V1. Or so I tought. 
I actually still currently use the old one because I have to many issues with the new. 

1st.  Issue Atomos is not actually working in Kodi. In both released version and latest nightlies (tried a few versions)
2nd. Issue and this seems to be present only in the nightlies. Sometimes image just fills in a quarter of the screen, it's fixed by going to home and back in kodi. 
3rd. Issue  Stuttering in some high bitrate  Mkv's. This can be fixed by increasing SMB chink size so this makes it that the "release" version is not usable. 

Anyone else using the V2 4K Max? Do you see same behavior?

My fire TV is plugged in in my Denon x1400h receiver which is connected to my LGE6V TV
I also upgraded from 4K Max 1st gen to 2nd gen. My device chain is similar to yours: 4K Max 2nd gen is connected to a Denon AVR, which is connected to LG TV.

All sound formats are working as passthrough. Make sure to set "Audio output device" and "Passthrough output device" both to "AudioTrack (IEC), Kodi IEC packer (recommended)".

If "Kodi IEC packer" isn't in the list of devices and you only have "Android IEC packer" or "AudioTrack (RAW)" as device, then exit Kodi and try again.

When the stick goes to sleep and then awakes, Kodi has to be restarted. If not restarted, the list of available audio devices is not properly updated in Kodi and "Kodi IEC packer" disappears. As a result the passthrough isn't working anymore and you only get stereo PCM. When you encounter that - first restart Kodi. If the passthrough still doesn’t work - check in audio settings if options "Audio output device" and "Passthrough output device" are set correctly. They tend to reset to "Android IEC packer".

As for playback of high Bitrate files, in my experience the new stick has much worse WiFi performance with SMB. Network performance tests show good numbers but SMB performance in Kodi is bad with the new stick. I had to buy an USB LAN adapter to solve this.

I never had the second issue you described.

For the record, I use Kodinerds builds for Omega (latest) but I also tried official nightlies. They work practically the same except that Kodinerds builds include an additional fix for Dolby Vision which isn't in Kodi master yet. That's the reason I use Kodinerds builds for now.

Overall the old stick worked better for me. I've updated to the 2nd gen stick to get HD audio formats. They work now but I had to solve the WiFi issue and I also now exit Kodi before power off everything (to not restart Kodi next time).
Thanks for your reply!
For me AudioTrack (IEC), Kodi IEC packer (recommended) disapears and is never comming back. Even if I restart Kodi or the Fire TV.  It workes on the first install and than once gone is gone forever. 
I have to check if it is somehow also linked with some of my settings, because last night I tested a fresh installl Omega (quietvoid) build and Atmos was there for a few restarts. However after I finished all my settings Atmos was again, gone forever.
I found the problematic setting. 
Once I set the resolution in Kodi to 2160p(no matter what refresh), kodi IEC packer disapears from the settings. 
If I set the resolution to 1080p and restart Kodi,  the Kodi IEC packer reapears and Atmos works. However if I have the resolution set to 1080p the 4K movies are played in fulldh not 4K.....
All resolutions are whitelisted but movies still play in 1080p.
I leave resolution and refresh in Kodi without change (that means 4K @ 59.93). I did not made any changes to white list. In Kodi under Settings->Player->Video option "Adjust display refresh rate" is set to "always", option "Adjust display hdr mode" is active. In Fire TV Settings HDR Mode is set to "Adaptive" and resolution to "Best (4K)", Bit depth set to "12 bit".

With these setting the Kodi IEC packer is available, video modes are changed for each video, all resolutions and refresh rates work. SDR, HDR, DV are switched properly. All audio codecs work properly as passthrough.

The only issue is that after sleep mode a restart of Kodi is needed (or exit Kodi before sleep). I live with that.

I tried to set video mode in Kodi to 4K @ 23.97 (that speeds up video mode changes) but the Kodi IEC disappeared just like you said. Then I left default 59.93.
For me default resolution is 1920x1080 @59.94  not 4K. 
Whenver I whitelist resolutions or not I lose Atmos at first restart if I change resolution to [email protected]. However if I don't whitelist resolutions and refreshes I don't get resolution and framerate matching which for me is very important. 
In FireTV setting I have it set Auto(up to 4K) Match original framerate on @12 bits color format Auto.
I guess I got more lucky with my hardware combination. I wonder why Kodi choose different default resolution in my case. Does your AVR have any settings regarding video mode to play with? On my AVR (Denon X4800H) I can choose HD/4K/8K for inputs.

When you are on FireTV Home Screen does it outputs in 4K?
what you can try is install a screensaver in kodi addons to keep the FireTV from closing Kodin on pause. it works for me.

when you return to your device kodi will not be closed and the screensaver will be running (it will not go to sleep at all though)
(2023-12-26, 15:24)boboc Wrote: [ -> ]I guess I got more lucky with my hardware combination. I wonder why Kodi choose different default resolution in my case. Does your AVR have any settings regarding video mode to play with? On my AVR (Denon X4800H) I can choose HD/4K/8K for inputs.

When you are on FireTV Home Screen does it outputs in 4K?

Yes, it seems that way.
My receiver only has a setting for 4k Signal type. Standard or enhanced. Not 8K capable.
Yes the signal on the fire TV homescree is in 4K.
I posted before actually checking .....Checking now I realise that was true in the past is not true anymore(for both my gen 1 and gen 2, 4k max) FireTV menu is now sending 1080P signal. This also makes Netflix to only provide HD quality. Probably some update along the way changed something and I didn't notice...
If I choose 4K in the settings and not auto I lose the framerate matching function....
What happens when you connect FS directly to TV and choose "Auto" in FS settings? This way your stick will get correct EDID information from TV and will set the output resolution correspondingly.
If all works this way, it's your AV that somehow blocks or misinterprets EDID information...
Yes, I tried direcly in the TV Port. I still get the same. It only displays 2160P automaticly if I disable HDR. I think it is because this tv only supports Dolby Vision is limited to 4k@30 not 60hz like HDR. So now FireTV thinks it's better to limit my expereince. I might try with an Edid modifier like HDFury. Unfortunatelly I only have the 1080p version but maybe I get the 4k one.
Ahhh, bummer. On my old Firestick 4K I use auto (don't even remember if it has an "HDR" optionSmile and it always sets 4k resolution, as then does Kodi and everything works as expected.
I don't kkow why but it seems the old forums with edid dumps are all "cleaned up" so difficult to find any edid.
My 1080P HDMI doctor seems to work ok with 4k DV and HDR signal I just need to find a proper LG OLED edid with DV support at 60hz.

if anyone could share an edid for LG OLed after 2017 I would greatly appreciate it.
I have an LG Oled and how can I get EDID info from it which is in a form that you need?
Pages: 1 2 3