Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi application freezing on opening and menu load
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,
i have started to use my previously working Kodi setup again in the last few days (probably not used it for around 6 months) and found somehow an issue which was not previously present has started to occur.

When I open the Windows Kodi app, it hangs on the splash screen (when enabled) for around 10 seconds until the main menu displays, I also get hangs of a similar duration when accessing library menus which is making the experience very unresponsive.

I am running Kodi 20.2.0 on Windows 10 with a MyVideos121 and MyMusic82 running on MySQL 5.7.28 on Ubuntu 19.04. I have two Windows 10 PCs as clients and both of them have the same issue. The Ubuntu Server is also running Zoneminder (and always has) which uses a MySQL database, there are no issues with the operation of that system

I have changed the log level to 2 and uploaded a log file here . This log file is for the initial load of the Kodi application up to and past the point of the initial hang upon loading the app. I note that once the menu in the app appears, no further information is posted to the log file (I left open in Notepad++ which tells you that the file you have open has changed as Kodi logs to it)

I've uploaded a second log here which includes the same as above but then some logging relating to me navigating around the menus. I opened the TV Shows --> Titles menu and counted a 10 second delay in the menu opening. I can't see an obvious bottleneck in the log suggesting what the delay might have been related to

my mysql error.log has what are maybe pertinent warnings (192.138.2.3 is the Windows machine the client is running on) 

As I have this issue across two clients, I am assuming this is a backend / database issue and have tried the following so far to attempt to resolve

Rebooted server - no difference
        Renamed both MyVideos and MyMusic databases so Kodi creates new ones - New databases were created but no difference
        Verified I can connect via MySQL Workbench and run queries - all seems OK
        Started the application without an advancedsettings.xml - loads almost immediately

Given the above, I think I am looking at some sort of database server issue but I cannot see what - there doesn't appear to be an issue with the server as I can connect and query OK and the Zoneminder application is connecting and querying as expected.

Can anyone advise what the issue may be?
See that myself with a mariadb running on NAS.

Interesting in that there was a "drive-by" post yesterday
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3176856

suggesting name resolution as a possible slowdown. Suggested adding to mysql config:
Code:
[mysqld]
skip-name-resolve

that requires using IP addr. No experience with this but if you don't mind tinkering might be worth a look.

scott s.
Thankyou - that seems to have done the trick. I have changed my home router since I last had Kodi working so wondering if this issue is related to that
Thread marked solved.