Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 20.3 won't start on googleTV 4k can not load obb error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have kodi 20.3 on a googleTV 4k
It worked super till this morning
When I try to start, right away the error can't load obb
Yesterday evening g I used it with no problem

I cleared the kodi app cache mem
Forced stop
Still same problem

Can some one help?
Thanks
Richard
try uninstalling then sideload instead of using the play store
Is it passable to not uninstall and try to install again?
I don't want to lose all my settings
(2024-01-10, 18:41)rhavrijn Wrote: [ -> ]I don't want to lose all my settings
(2024-01-10, 15:45)rhavrijn Wrote: [ -> ]I cleared the kodi app cache mem

pretty sure you already lost them when you cleared kodi

but, it's just a guess anyway i don't even know for sure it's going to work, obb anything only comes up when using the playstore
ignore me and just wait, maybe someone else will have an idea for you
Sideloading the APK (ARMv7A) from Kodi's site worked for me, I didn't have to uninstall first and I didn't lose any settings. However sideloading on Android TV isn't as easy as on a phone. Just waiting for a fix through the Play Store is my recommended solution for most.
Unfortunately the attempts to backport the PR's required to submit to the Google Playstore have been unsuccessful. We have halted the rollout of 20.3 via the playstore, and we will be unable to do a release on the playstore.

For those who did get the initial deployment, unfortunately you will have to uninstall and reinstall from the store. This should then reinstall 20.2 as of now.

We have added the following message to the halt of the deployment

Quote:Developer notes: Unfortunately we have had to halt the deployment for 20.3, and we will be unable to do a Playstore release. If you wish to use 20.3 you will need to sideload the APK from our mirrors at https://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/ We apologise for the inconvience
(2024-01-10, 20:34)Fuzzard Wrote: [ -> ]For those who did get the initial deployment, unfortunately you will have to uninstall and reinstall from the store. This should then reinstall 20.2 as of now.
Is there any way we can do this without losing all of the settings?  Or is there a way to force a sideload over the top of the buggy Playstore release?  I really would love to avoid having to setup everything from scratch.
Not directly due to how Android works. As soon as you uninstall then it automatically wipes out all traces, including the configuration files.

But you can use the backup addon (or do it manually) to save your settings and configuration and then restore them after the sideload.
(2024-01-11, 16:13)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Not directly due to how Android works. As soon as you uninstall then it automatically wipes out all traces, including the configuration files.

But you can use the backup addon (or do it manually) to save your settings and configuration and then restore them after the sideload.

Unfortunately this issue prevents us starting kodi so installing an add-on now won't work.

I was able to recover by sideloading the APK over the top of the buggy playstore app. Came up with the first run message but then all my previous settings and add-ons were there when kodi opened.
OK. On a "normal" device you can do it manually, but not so easy on a TV.

Good to hear that "over the top" sideloading does work, but unfortunately anyone who uninstalls first will loose their settings due to the way of Android working.
Will this also affect the nvida shield?
My Kodi tried to auto update to 20.3 on my Sheild from Play Store but failed to open with a message "cannot download obb". I went into Play Store and it said there was an update for Kodi so I did that. Kodi then opened perfectly as 20.3 (shows as 20.3.2 in system info). I didn't lose anything.
Thank you for this confirmation.

We have been rolling out a 20.3.2 VERY slowly with a fix for the obb failure. Internally it tested ok for me, but the Play store system is very hard to do any thorough testing with the way we have things currently.
(2024-01-11, 22:02)Fuzzard Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for this confirmation.

We have been rolling out a 20.3.2 VERY slowly with a fix for the obb failure. Internally it tested ok for me, but the Play store system is very hard to do any thorough testing with the way we have things currently.

After sideloading 20.3.0 earlier(which fixed the problem), I just got 20.3.2 through the Play Store and can confirm that everything seems fine on the 4k chromecast with google tv.
I can also confirm I received the second version from the play store on Chromecast 4k and all.is working perfectly now. Originally side loaded the app from official Kodi download and installed 20.3 then went into app updates and play store said they had a fixed version. Installed and said preparing for first run. Booted up with all my data intact.
Pages: 1 2