Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [CLOSED] Introduce new "settinglevel" that allows you to disable settings entirely.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Requesting settinglevel "4" to be "read-only" that would completely disable settings from being changed.
Requesting settinglevel "5" to be "hidden" that would completely hide settings.

Standard, Advanced, Expert, Read-Only, Hidden

Would be put into guisettings.xml until the override from advancedsettings.xml is fixed.
For what purpose? As there already is Master Lock for preventing settings being changed by other users.
(2024-02-19, 19:59)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]As there already is Master Lock

master lock invokes profiles, any use of profiles breaks jellyfin for kodi
neither team-kodi or the jellyfin devs care to fix the issues with profiles i bet right this very moment the second you read "jellyfin" it triggered your idgaf reaction

so i just want to hide the settings, the same way they hide when overridden from advanced

i guess if nobody cares to expand the settings level i could just remove it from the skin but that's a lame work-around
(2024-02-19, 22:32)izprtxqkft Wrote: [ -> ]master lock invokes profiles, any use of profiles breaks jellyfin for kodi
neither team-kodi or the jellyfin devs care to fix the issues with profiles i bet right this very moment the second you read "jellyfin" it triggered your idgaf reaction

so i just want to hide the settings, the same way they hide when overridden from advanced

i guess if nobody cares to expand the settings level i could just remove it from the skin but that's a lame work-around

I understand some of the complexities of implementing profiles between Kodi and Jellyfin, especially if you don't implement an auth protocol.  I have the exact same challenge with Mezzmo.  I came up with a hybrid approach called Selective Sync which is as close as I could get to solving the problem.  It isn't perfect but gets pretty close without the use of passing credential between the client and the server.

Jeff
(2024-02-19, 22:32)izprtxqkft Wrote: [ -> ]so i just want to hide the settings, the same way they hide when overridden from advanced
If you add them to advanced they are also hidden, or at least that's how I remember it.
Just remembered, there are hidden settings which are set to Level 4 in the settings.xml, so you should be able to edit it and set any setting to Level 4 to hide them.
(2024-02-20, 00:43)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]there are hidden settings which are set to Level 4 in the settings.xml

for addons maybe, this doesn't "already" exist in guisettings.xml and adding it doesn't seem to have the desired effect
Wrong file, it's this you'd need modify https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...ttings.xml

[edit] Here is an example of a hidden setting https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...s.xml#L944

It's the
xml:
<level>4</level>
that makes it hidden.
(2024-02-20, 17:15)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Wrong file, it's this you'd need modif

that would be what i would like to override from advancedsettings but yea i can see doing my customization in that file instead then keep a custom copy of it for reinstalls
only need to keep it updated "occasionally", doesn't seem to change very often looking at the blame it changed 3 weeks ago and 3 months ago https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blame/maste...ttings.xml

it's just that i do so many reinstalls for testing i'm constantly changing the same settings over and over plus the portable i keep on my dev machine gets it's portable folder wiped constantly so i was already keeping a "system" advancedsettings for that one

good idea 👍
Possibly the reason your attempt at overriding settings level probably didn't work is because it doesn't orginate in settings.xml, by that I mean settings are defined in settings.xml then the user set values are stored in guisettings.xml, so as general.settinglevel doesn't exist in settings.xml you can't use the advancedsetting method to override what is set in guisettings.xml, however this is purely a guess.
(2024-02-20, 18:04)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Possibly the reason your attempt at overriding settings level probably didn't work is because it doesn't orginate in settings.xml,

you're right it doesn't seem to originate anywhere, it's just a hardcoded default i guess, maybe that should be looked into, a "setting" should be defined in settings at least i would think so
maybe i just need to keep a default guisettings.xml, an override advancedsettings and a system/settings.xml

found <visible> conditions in the settings.xml but the skin doesn't even respect them so they still show up as categories in the Kodi settings GUI, just empty when you enter them

guess im not going to be able to avoid modifying the skin

added a post to the skin's subforum about it so it can be properly ignored
Request closed because nobody understands what I am even asking for.

Changing visible in system/settings.xml does not hide, there is no method to hide the items from the skin and making requests for the skin to remedy it results in more bad suggestions and being diverted away from the skin "because it's not part of the skin" somehow.
(2024-02-19, 22:32)izprtxqkft Wrote: [ -> ]master lock invokes profiles, any use of profiles breaks jellyfin for kodi

PR's to address the profile issues would be very welcome.
(2024-02-21, 00:08)izprtxqkft Wrote: [ -> ]Changing visible in system/settings.xml does not hide, there is no method to hide the items from the skin and making requests for the skin to remedy it results in more bad suggestions and being diverted away from the skin "because it's not part of the skin" somehow.
Not sure if you missed my comment in the other thread but I said you can hide categories in the settings.xml but not sections. And jjd-uk showed you how to hide a sections in a skin.
(2024-02-21, 09:23)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]PR's to address the profile issues would be very welcome.
i'm sure but ...
i don't personally know how to fix it
i don't personally use profiles (or have a use for them) so the fact they break things is less important to me
predating my forum account i did try to submit PRs and they were shut down every time for various reasons but mostly because team-kodi doesn't like the way i do things and therefor i don't bother with that sort of thing just to waste my time

(2024-02-21, 10:59)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if you missed my comment in the other thread but I said you can hide categories in the settings.xml but not sections. And jjd-uk showed you how to hide a sections in a skin.

yes, thank you for your responses but i want the icon in categories to disappear "completely" when a category is disabled, the way Games disappears when it is disabled
that being nothing to do with this feature request only a side effect of the suggestion that was made here to just change the settings level to 4 in system/settings.xml

the feature request here was to have additional settings levels that would
1. be set in guisettings.xml as

Code:
<general>
        <settinglevel>5</settinglevel>
</general>
which would determine that the settings are "read-only", meaning no user may change anything but can view what the settings are set to
2. additionally would have a level 4 which would completely remove settings from the skin entirely, as if every category was set to level 4 in system/settings.xml
3. when fixed, that setting could be set and overridden from advancedsettings.xml but settinglevel is not read from advancedsettings like the rest of the settings, there is no override possible

the goal would be to make kodi granny-friendly by locking out settings that granny shouldn't change entirely
yes, i can and do override most from advancedsettings which results in a more friendly interface but still the Profiles and PVR section are left in the settings until i remove them from the skin manually which is more work than just putting an override in advancedsettings
plus i don't really want to keep a custom skin

since this feature request is not possible my only recourse is to just change the skin and remove the sections icons from the skin as jjd did point out, even if it is a lot more annoying to do
Pages: 1 2