Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Vector Graphics?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it, in any way, possible to display Illustrator EPS files as part of the gui? I'm planning on creating a vector based skin ...

Thanks!
Nope.
you can kind of do crude vector drawing by just using 1x1px textures and having XBMC scale them.
That doesn't sound to good Wink

Any chance that support for vectors might be add in future revisions?
I do my work in Illustrator anyway, of course i can convert them in photoshop for the skin ... i just thought this might be kinda cool, fast loading times even with large images, no need to do different versions for different resolutions and stuff.

Freddo Wrote:you can kind of do crude vector drawing by just using 1x1px textures and having XBMC scale them.
There was talk of svg. But nothing more than talk yet.
Quote:Any chance that support for vectors might be add in future revisions?
SVG support is on the TODO list for the skinning engine, but definitely not for Atlantis.
As much as I love vectors (I work a lot in Illustrator) I don't see much appeal in supporting them for a skin. After seeing a skin like Media Stream in all it's graphics glory, it's hard to envision a vector skin that matches that kind of elegance. There are things like glowing progress bars that wouldn't be possible in vectors. Or the type of selections in media stream, just wouldn't be possible.
The plan is to have a mix of the 2 not just 1 so skinners can use it for images that would be good to use like Icons and still get great quailty no matter what size they are. It would also reduve the size of the skins heaps
Migueld:

Not trying to offend you but I'm looking at MediaStream right now, I use this everyday and I must say that there is nothing about the GUI that cannot be done in Illustrator. Of course, for a very small amount of effects, like glow, Illustrator is going to convert this to pixels while exporting but it's still scalable in the source.

Illustrator is a mighty, mighty piece of code Smile
Player4 Wrote:Of course, for a very small amount of effects, like glow, Illustrator is going to convert this to pixels while exporting but it's still scalable in the source.

No offense taken Smile I do know some pretty awesome things have been done in vectors, for example art that looks 100% photo-realistic, and honestly is amazing. The boundaries of what can be done with vectors keeps being pushed forward.

However to get things to look like raster stuff, for example shadows, textures, complex gradients/mesh etc, it may not be practical to do for the purposes of XBMC. For example, as point out, effects and mesh objects would need to be rasterized. Personally I'd rather make it hi-res on photoshop and scale it down to xbmc. Also keep in mind that the format used would not be ai eps, but svn.

Personally I'd love to see the current skins go to the next level and have stuff like composite animations. Vista's MCE isn't the greatest example but the UI feels more fluid, there are some dynamic things going on. I'm not sure if the current engine can do that kind of thing, but it'd something pretty cool.

Having said that, I have no problem with having a hybrid of vector and raster skins. If it helps on file size and the pros outweigh the cons, bring it on Wink
Any one working on this? EPS or more so: Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG).
no one on the team is to my knowledge but as we always say "Patch Welcome"
Jezz_X Wrote:no one on the team is to my knowledge but as we always say "Patch Welcome"

Thanks Jezz,

Yes, if someone can help me structure this into a project then I'll start it. One dependency is that there is already work in integrate a browser (not upcoming release correct?). Webkit supports vector graphics, so it may be redundant to do a native port. Do you think is worthwhile to do given that initiative?

Also, another thing on my mind, is with the deluge of a variety of 3D (stereoscopic) hw coming on the market, it would be pretty good to have a proper z-index available to the skin. I hope I've understood the framework with a cursory look- that is there is no z-index functionality. This is separate and distinct from vector graphics of course.