Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [APPLE TV] Apple TV versus Xbox hardware?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I was thinking of purchasing an Apple TV just for the XBMC experience. I currently have a Xbox with XBMC running on it but like the idea of having something newer with a little more cpu speed. Will I be able to play more high def videos on it, I was thinking videos ripped at 720p.

I guess I'm just trying to get a feel if this would be a usual upgrade for me to do.. anyone have any experience with this upgrade?

Thanks!
The original xbox can play 720P videos. Just not anything over that, although skins can display at 1080i its not really suggested.
So there would be no need in upgrading?
AppleTV can do h264 at SD and higher (maybe some 720p stuff?)

XBox struggles with h264 at SD.

AppleTV is significantly better hardware. It's also expensive compared to an xbox.

Whether or not it will play the files you have is up for debate Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan
After thinking a long hard while about the price of a full blown 1080p HTPC, I think an Apple TV sounds like a better idea. First I only download movies, so there never over 720p. Also the Apple TV is significantly smaller than the Xbox, so that makes it a great alternative. Comparing the price on how much I would have paid on a HTPC that would support 1080p, the Apple TV pwns HTPC's. So in my opinion, if your looking for something with a little more power thats a lot smaller and isnt to expensive, the Apple TV is perfect.
And remember that refurbished AppleTVs are available from Apple for $199
I don't actually have a tv that displays 1080p, only 720p or 1080i so I guess for the price it would only make sense of buying the AppleTV and it take care of all my needs. I'm also excited to try out the new Boxee which was built on the XBMC code.
But is ATV as flexible with XBMC as an HTPC?
Neither the Xbox nor Apple TV is as flexible as a HTPC which has a full operating-system underneath instead of a stripped down OS which is only there to serve a specific purpose.

In short you get what you pay for, if you require the full flexibility of a HTPC then you must be prepared to pay the price.
Gamester17 Wrote:Neither the Xbox nor Apple TV is as flexible as a HTPC which has a full operating-system underneath instead of a stripped down OS which is only there to serve a specific purpose.

In short you get what you pay for, if you require the full flexibility of a HTPC then you must be prepared to pay the price.

IMO though, since we can successfully run Linux on the aTV with hardware accelerated video, it IS as flexible as a standard HTPC. It is also MUCH smaller than any other HTPC I've laid my eyes on.

It would be nice with some more USB ports however, but I guess a USB hub would do the trick nicely.
It also lacks a CD drive right ? and is currently limited in what it can play (h.264 Hidef wise) compared to a htpc
But its great for streaming media, which is mainly what I want to do with it. And yes, it can only play videos up to 720p, but the skin can be in 1080p. But my question is whether
XBMC is just as good on a ATV, over an HTPC. Like does it support everything.
Rekoil Wrote:we can successfully run Linux on the aTV with hardware accelerated video
There is currently no hardware accelerated video decoding support in XBMC (on any platform), all decoding is done on the CPU.
Then the aTV is just as crippled as any other HTPC Tongue Sorry, I just don't see why the aTV can't have HTPC status.

CD drive can be achieved through USB as well, been there, done that. As for the content, yes it has a weaker processor, however the actual limit is in software and can be overcome by installing a full OS X or a flavour of Linux.
I think im still going to buy an ATV. It supports 720p and thats all that my movies are in. Is there any way currently to OC the ATV processor?
Pages: 1 2 3 4