Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [AppleTV] HOW-TO replace the keymap files for Apple Remote to add context-menu, etc.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been working on a replacement Keymap.xml file for use with the Apple TV remote, that hopefully will make it easier for everyone to use.

This includes giving context menus (like white button on Xbox remote if you are used to XBMC on Xbox) in the videos folder for scanning content, as well as OSD for when playing music.

There are 2 files, as I found that the PM3.HD skin has a 'stop' option on the OSD while playing video but the PM3 skin does not, so the PM3 version remaps the '-' button to 'stop' when playing full screen video.

For people wanting to improve these, the following are what I have found.

Apple TV Remote - XBMC label Function
--------------------------------
Menu - Menu
Play/Pause - Select or Enter
Menu (P&H) - Back
+ - Up
- - Down
Left - Left
Right - Right

And below are the current and replacement key mappings.

Full screen video
-----------------------------
Press menu to bring up player controls
Press and hold menu to bring up movie information.
Press play/pause to play/pause
Press + for forward 10 minutes
Press |<< for back 30 seconds
Press >>| for forward 30 seconds
Press - for back 10 minutes (PM3.HD keymap)
Press - for stop (PM3 keymap)
Due to PM3 (original skin) not having a stop option in full screen video, there are 2 keymap files.
KeymapPM3.xml for PM3 (maps '-' button as stop)
KeymapPM3HD.xml for PM3.HD skin (leaves '-' as back 10 mins)
(You can obviously use the KeymapPM3.xml file on the PM3.HD skin, you will just have - as stop)

Rename the Keymap file that you want to Keymap.xml and place it in /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/system on the ATV

Backup the original Keymap.xml first, then delete it before copying this one over.

Video Files menu
--------------------------
Press and hold 'Menu' to bring up context menu (allows you to set source / scan for content etc)
(note that due to this option P&H of menu will not bring up music player controls while in the videos section)

Video Calibration
----------------------------
To exit, press Menu

Playing Music
press and hold Menu to bring up player controls (except in 'Videos' section)
(menu once to remove)

SlideShow
---------
Press menu to stop slideshow
Press and Hold menu to rotate picture
Press Left / Right to go back / forward

Settings Screens
--------------------
Press and hold menu to exit out of most settings screens.

Download the zip file containing both from http://www.savefile.com/files/1822075
(if anyone finds this useful and has a better site to house the file, please feel free to put it there and post the link, as this site only has 30day retention)
Hey thanks!

But I have this odd problem - where the 'press and hold' buttons don't work, and menu always takes me back to the ATV menu. Have any ideas?
will this work for other skins such as mediastream and aeon as well? or just pm3?
There is no reason why it wouldn't work on other skins, I have just differentiated due to the PM3 skin not having a stop option on the OSD in fullscreen video.
If any other skin does not have a stop option there, then use the PM3 version, if you do have the stop option use the PM3HD version.

koshersalt, perhaps in the Launcher settings, set "Use Internal Remote Control" to "No" - are you using XBMCHelper? (see elsewhere on this forum if you don't know what it is, it will tell you and show how to install).

Anyway, I have played some more, the keymappings under B2 are pretty good anyway, but I have just tweaked them to the way I like them...

For people wanting to improve these, the following are what I have found.

Apple TV Remote - XBMC label Function
--------------------------------
Menu - Menu
Play/Pause - Select or Enter
Menu (P&H) - Back
Play (P&H) - Title
+ - Up
- - Down
Left - Left
Right - Right

Full screen video
Press menu to bring up player controls
Press and hold menu to bring up movie information.
Press + for forward 10 minutes
Press |<< for back 30 seconds
Press >>| for forward 30 seconds
Press - for back 10 minutes (PM3.HD keymap)
Press - for stop (PM3 keymap)
Due to PM3 (original skin) it not having a stop option in full screen video, there are 2 keymap files.
KeymapPM3.xml for PM3 (maps '-' button as stop)
KeymapPM3HD.xml for PM3.HD skin (leaves '-' as back 10 mins)
(You can obviously use the KeymapPM3.xml file on the PM3.HD skin, you will just have - as stop)

Rename the Keymap file that you want to Keymap.xml and place it in /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/system on the ATV

Backup the original Keymap.xml first, then delete it before copying this one over.

Any Files menu
--------------------------
Press and hold 'Play' to bring up context menu (allows you to set source / scan for content etc)

Video Calibration
To exit, press Menu

Playing Music
press and hold Menu to bring up player controls
(menu once to remove)

SlideShow
---------
Press menu to stop slideshow
Press and Hold menu to rotate picture
Press Left / Right to go back / forward

Settings Screens
--------------------
Press and hold menu to exit out of most settings screens.

Again 2 versions - as before...

http://www.savefile.com/files/1827386
i like this setup you made for the control, especially missing the slideshow and rotate functions.
But it seems to be that savefile is busy with their servers. do you have a second place where you can get the keymap file?

Thanks, looks good!

Mike
Riderzzz Wrote:... do you have a second place where you can get the keymap file?..

No problem.
You should be able to download it from the XBMC trac site http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5018
Get 'Keymap.2.xml'

The only change I have made to that file is on line 520, I changed
<button id="3">StepBack</button>
to
<button id="3">SmallStepBack</button>

This helps if you use it to watch recorded TV as well, as that way when you jump forward in Fullscreen video by 30 second increments, if it jumps too far past the ads, the back step is in 8 second increments instead of 30.
Thank you.
Downloaded and copied in your suggested directory after i renamed the old one.
Uhm, XBMC fail to start and console say Error Code -6.
Replacing the new one with the old, everything works fine.
Am i missing something?

thanks
G75Rolleyes
That I don't know I'm afraid.
Did you definitely put it in the correct folder, and called it 'Keymap.xml' (case is important)?
Did you try the one you downloaded without changing it?
I downloaded this one KeymapPM3HD.xml , renamed the old, upped the new one and changed in Keymap.xml in Resources\XBMC\System folder.
That's weird.. when i start XBMC i see Error:XBMC/Boxee exited with status:6.
:confused2:

Thanks
G75
Keymap.2.xml listed is the newer one.
I am not sure what could be causing the error you are getting.
Another way to try would be to grab the keymap file that is on your atv and just make the changes as per the downloaded file and send it back up to your atv.
Works like a charm.
Stupid me that i was downloading with "save link as" directly from here http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5018 Laugh instead of downloading original format.
I just opened it and saw pure html.
Sorry mate.
I am very interested in your Apple remote modifications.
I downloaded the Keymap.2.xml file from http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5018 and then navigated to /Volumes/frontrow/Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/system but there is no Keymap.xml file to replace, there is however a folder called keymaps and that folder contains these files:

gamepad.xml
joystick.AppleRemote.xml
joystick.Harmony.xml
joystick.Microsoft.Xbox.Controller.S.xml
joystick.Sony.PLAYSTATION®3.Controller.xml
joystick.WiiRemote.xml
keyboard.xml
remote.xml

Could this be why people are crashing?

Should we replace the joystick.AppleRemote.xml ?

Thanks for your help
I bit the bullet and replaced

<button id="1">BigStepForward</button>
<button id="2">BigStepBack</button>
<button id="3">StepBack</button>
<button id="4">StepForward</button>
<button id="5">Pause</button>
<button id="6">OSD</button>
<!-- hold play --> <button id="7">Stop</button>
<!-- hold menu --> <button id="8">Info</button>

in the joystick.AppleRemote.xml file and it works, not only does it work, it also solved a problem with clearart not showing on the AppleTV

I love it, thank you thank you thank you

BTW, I am using the excellent Transparency! skin
If someone could sum up the changes and advantages for us plebs that don't use the apple remote, we'll get this in SVN as the default.

Cheers,
Jonathan
jmarshall Wrote:If someone could sum up the changes and advantages for us plebs that don't use the apple remote, we'll get this in SVN as the default.

Apple TV Remote Changes

Full screen video
Press + for forward 10 minutes <button id="1">BigStepForward</button> Use to be Increase Volume "VolumeUp" was useless if you already controlled your volume with some other remote
Press - for back 10 minutes <button id="2">BigStepBack</button> Use to be Decrease Volume "VolumeDown"
Press >>| for forward 30 seconds <button id="4">StepForward</button> Same as before
Press |<< for back 8 seconds <button id="3">SmallStepBack</button> Use to be Backwards 30 seconds, adds better control if you skip commercials
Press play/pause to play/pause and now displays clearart on TV Shows <button id="5">Pause</button> Use to bring up OSD and required another press to pause and did not show clearart
Press menu to bring up OSD player controls <button id="6">OSD</button> Brings up OSD for additional controls like audio, video, subtitles plus standard player control
Press and hold play/pause for stop <!-- hold play --> <button id="7">Stop</button> Did not exist
Press and hold menu to bring up movie information <!-- hold menu --> <button id="8">Info</button> Did not exist

SlideShow
---------
Press and Hold menu to rotate picture <!-- hold menu --> <button id="8">Rotate</button> Did not exist
Press play/pause to play/pause <button id="5">Pause</button> Did not do anything before
Pages: 1 2