Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Strange Video Playback Behavior
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Edit: I just found a thread with the same problem. If the mods want to merge with that one, it's fine with me. I didn't catch it the first time around. Sorry! The thread is here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=37858

I have been experiencing some odd video playback for some time now, and I haven't been able to figure out why. So far, I have only noticed this on DivX video. What happens, is the video will get all blocky (like it missed a key frame or something like that), and it will only show moving objects until another keyframe (usually a couple seconds). I would normally just deal with it, but every time this happens, the sound loses sync. It get's worse and worse every time XBMC hits a part of the video that does this. I can "Force sync" the video by skipping ahead and then back, and it syncs back up until the problem happens again. I figured I wouldn't be the only one, but looking around, it seems as though it is just me.

So I am posting to see if there is anyone else out there that has this problem. If there's more than one, I will definitely write up a bug on it. If not, I am taking suggestions on how to fix it :)

Here is some additional information that you may find helpful:

-These are videos I have not encoded myself
-Most of the problem videos came from EZTV or VTV torrents
-I do not get the same (or anything similar at all) problem with mplayer or VLC
-I am running Atlantis beta 1 on Ubuntu/x86 (but had this problem with past SVN versions as well - all prepackaged PPA's
-An example file with this issue is "House.S05E03.HDTV.XviD-LOL.avi" from EZTV/LoL - SD version
-Some specs on this file:
-XVID
-624x352
-23.976fps
-980.8kbps
-Software: transcode-0.6.9
-mp3 audio 48000Hz, 2ch, 128kbps

If you require any additional information, please let me know, and I will be happy to help in any way I can.

-BrandonJ

PS: Other than this little problem, Atlantis is very nice! I can't wait until I get my flatscreen this month so I can start using the new 16:9 skin - it's goregous!
I won't bother merging as the problem is fixed in SVN now and beta2 is likely only hours away from release.
I'm running SVN and playback is still jerky. I'm on SVN 15817, I used the Build script. No dropped frames no maxxed out CPU, just jerky Sad
Unless you can provide a sample and the devs can reproduce, it will be hard to help.

I don't think I notice any noticeable jerkiness.
It's subtle and it's occurring on every H.264 file I've got and I'm seeing it on content I've downloaded too. It seems to happen in scenes where motion speeds up - panning the camera etc. If no one else sees it then it's my issue but this didn't use to happen and began about 3-4 weeks ago. I moved to a new home in the meantime so wasn't able to post about it until now. It occurs during Killa Sample BTW so IMO it's NOT my source material. Not sure how to describe what's going on since neither CPU nor frames are registered as dropping, it's like the FPS speeds up and down Sad