Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Linux Spec for XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I hope you might be able to help. Have been reading a few of the threads in this section and wondered whether you might be able to comment on the following as a spec for XBMC.

I see that many people are going down the Intel path - is there any reason for this at all?

Want this to be quiet as it's going to sit in the living room and also run 720p and 1080i. I'm not too worried about 1080p at the moment (TV can only handle 720p and 1080i) but may upgrade the TV at some stage so having it at 1080p would be a bonus.

Case: Silverstone LC20 Black
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-DS2H 780G
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4850+ (2.8GHz)
Memory: 2x1GB DDR2 PC2-6400
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HD103UJ
Optical Drive: Logitech LGGC-H20L Blu-Ray and HD-DVD
CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja Mini Fanless
PSU: Corsair VX450W
Graphics Card: Onboard
Sound: Onboard
TV Tuner: Pinnacle 3010IX PCTV (as I'm going to link to Myth)
Remote: Standard Windows MCE Remote and Receiver

If I do go down the Intel route, I'm heading towards the following:
Motherboard: Asus P5Q-EM (onboard NVIDIA GeForce 7100)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8300 S775 3Ghz

Thanks!
Please don't make people have to use google to find out what system you have, post the exact graphic chip.

Woggle Wrote:I see that many people are going down the Intel path - is there any reason for this at all?
Clock for Clock (Mhz/Ghz) Intel Core 2 Duo are much more efficient/faster than AMD processors, and they run cooler as well at the same speed.

PS! There are now hundreds if not thousands of threads discussion hardware, little research does not hurt Rolleyes
and anyway, the p5q-em has an intel X4500HD as onboard video card, much better (as far as i know) than the gf7100
succo Wrote:and anyway, the p5q-em has an intel X4500HD as onboard video card, much better (as far as i know) than the gf7100

Has anyone gotten full 1080 playback from an Intel video chip yet? I'd ask what it is that you used to rate this as "better" since so far as I can tell the easiest\best playback has been coming from NVIDIA video chipsets - and not so much on onboard ones either.Huh
well, me myself have (little) problems with onboard nvidia 7150 and 1080p, 8200 is limited by the fact that comes only with AM2 mobos, but never heard anyone with playback problems on g45, could be wrong but right now i'd go for it and wait for kernel to support hdmi audio (which is not there yet on g45 but is there on g43), to say one, as i've been waiting for long for hdmi audio support from nvidia onboard, which i've read should (maybe) come with kernel 2.6.28
but, of course, i could be wrong Smile
At least one person cured dropped frames by switching away from onboard video. As for Intel video - you can play the Killa' sample with no dropped frames on a G45 at 1080?
me myself Wrote:right now i'd go for it
i haven't this card, only haven't heard anyone with problems with that, and again, i was talking about onboard video, not thinking of a dedicated video card, even if, in the end, it could be even less expensive Smile