Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [APPLE TV] Context-Menu via the Apple Remote?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have read through the forums and manual and while the manual suggests you can get to the context menu by pressing the play button on the remote twice my experience suggests otherwise. I have read that this will be fixed in the next release but don't know when that will be released. Can anyone advise?

p.s. I'm aware that there's a method of sending keyboard commands from MAC to AppleTV but this has proven beyond me.
logan_x50 Wrote:I have read through the forums and manual and while the manual suggests you can get to the context menu by pressing the play button on the remote twice my experience suggests otherwise. I have read that this will be fixed in the next release but don't know when that will be released. Can anyone advise?

p.s. I'm aware that there's a method of sending keyboard commands from MAC to AppleTV but this has proven beyond me.
Hi logan_x50,

with ATV rev2.2 and XBMCLauncher 0.2, context menu should pop after holding Play button. I'm not sure about support in ATV rev2.1
MaestroDD Wrote:Hi logan_x50,

with ATV rev2.2 and XBMCLauncher 0.2, context menu should pop after holding Play button. I'm not sure about support in ATV rev2.1

Hello MaestroDD, thanks for getting back to me. you'll have to excuse the huge chasm in my understanding of this. Can I clarify:
1)ATV 2.2 refers to the latest update provided by Apple correct?
2)XBMCLauncher 0.2 is something that needs to be installed seperately? How do I go about that?
3)I'll have to patchstick again if I update to 2.2?

p.s. thanks to the XBMC team for making my AppleTV useful. Really hope Apple don't close the the door in some shape or form
logan_x50 Wrote:Hello MaestroDD, thanks for getting back to me. you'll have to excuse the huge chasm in my understanding of this. Can I clarify:
1)ATV 2.2 refers to the latest update provided by Apple correct?
2)XBMCLauncher 0.2 is something that needs to be installed seperately? How do I go about that?
3)I'll have to patchstick again if I update to 2.2?

p.s. thanks to the XBMC team for making my AppleTV useful. Really hope Apple don't close the the door in some shape or form

1) Yes.
2) XBMCLauncher is the program the patchstick installs. It doesn't actually install XBMC. You do that from XBMCLauncher on the AppleTV. Simply install the patchstick to your AppleTV, go to XBMC and click Update. From there you should see an option to update the XBMC/Boxee Launcher. Update it then download XBMC from the Update panel. You're all set.
3)Correct.
lboyce Wrote:1) Yes.
2) XBMCLauncher is the program the patchstick installs. It doesn't actually install XBMC. You do that from XBMCLauncher on the AppleTV. Simply install the patchstick to your AppleTV, go to XBMC and click Update. From there you should see an option to update the XBMC/Boxee Launcher. Update it then download XBMC from the Update panel. You're all set.
3)Correct.

Wow. Thank you very much for your quick response. I love XBMC and I'm a bit loathe to risk updating ATV 2.2 and patchsticking again in case I lose XBMC for whatever reason so I've got a couple of further questions: -

1) How can I tell what version of XBMCLauncher I currently have installed? I only installed the patchstick on the 4th and I just want to check that the outlined fix is required.

2) This stage "Simply install the patchstick to your AppleTV, go to XBMC and click Update. From there you should see an option to update the XBMC/Boxee Launcher". Where am I going to Update XBMC Launcher? From within the ATV>XBMC GUI or as part of the patchstick process? I seem to remember the ATV USB had options to load SSH Tools, XBMC, Boxee, Bin Utils. Am i re-installing SSH tools or just XBMC?

Sorry to be a pain but I want to ensure I don't break a great bit of software
it's not working
i have atv 2.2 and if i press the play on the folder it just go to the folder inside
james341 Wrote:it's not working
i have atv 2.2 and if i press the play on the folder it just go to the folder inside

You need to hold down the play button (a long press).
how to i know if i have the XBMCLauncher 0.2 ver?
i installed the xbmc in this way:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_for_Mac_on_Apple_TV

http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/
james341 Wrote:how to i know if i have the XBMCLauncher 0.2 ver?
i installed the xbmc in this way:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_for_Mac_on_Apple_TV

http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/

Launcher 0.2 has both XBMC and Boxee in right hand menus
thanks i have it . is there something i need to do with the setting because i changed the remote to off in the setting menu before i start the xbmc
because if i don't do it the remote is not working

thanks

sorry about the English
james341 Wrote:thanks i have it . is there something i need to do with the setting because i changed the remote to off in the setting menu before i start the xbmc
because if i don't do it the remote is not working

Little more description please.

XBMC need to be running the Launcher's internal IR control. I can't tell from above which way you are running.
davilla Wrote:Little more description please.

XBMC need to be running the Launcher's internal IR control. I can't tell from above which way you are running.

"use internal remote control - off "
this is what i did beacuse if i'm put this opthin to on my remote is not working
at all beacuse i have aTV v 2.2
and also i replaced the file XBMCHelper
after i did this 2 things my remote start to work again
look here :
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=38322&page=2
Thought I'd post it here, given that I struggled with getting the context menu to work with my Harmony remote. I'm running ATV 2.4, launcher 3.1. The context menu can be launched whilst displaying files by pressing and holding the "Menu" button. This worked for me using a Harmony Remote.