Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: connecting to tv
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have a Sony Bravia KDL32S3000 which has the following connections:

HDMI™ Inputs - 3
PC Input (15pin D-Sub) + Audio In - YES
Component Inputs - 1
4 Pin (Y/C) In (S Video) - YES
MiniJack (Head/Earphone) (mm) - 3.5
PCMCIA Card Slot - YES
RCA Audio Out - YES
RCA AV Input - 1
RF In - YES
Scart Inputs (RGB) - 2

I've got an NVidia 6200 in my PC which has VGA and DVI outputs.

I was thinking of getting a DVD to HDMI cable, but then realised this wouldn't give me any sound.

I don't have any external av equipment at the moment so it will have to use my tellys speakers for now.

Any suggestions on the best way to get audio and video to my tv?
Why not use a DVI-I to VGA adapter and a 3.5mm stereo jack cable, selecting the PC input on the TV?
If your computer has a MiniJack (Head/Earphone) 3.5mm output then you probably need a 3.5mm to RCA/PHONO cable to connect it to the RCA AV Input for audio-in on the TV. For video use a DVI to HDMI adapter or cable.

Netizen Wrote:Why not use a DVI-I to VGA adapter and a 3.5mm stereo jack cable, selecting the PC input on the TV?
Why would he want to use a DVI-I to VGA when he has HDMI input which is DVI-D compatible.
I guess it depends on how particular the TV is about the sound source. I know what I said isn't at all intuitive but my cheap-ass Hannspree LCD will only take audio from the Phono inputs when an analogue source is selected. And the VGA only takes audio from the mini-jack. But hey you get what you pay for :p
When i looked closely around the back of my Bravia i noticed one of the hdmi inputs also had two rca phono inputs next to it.

I bought a 3.5mm stereo to two rca phono connections cable and a DVI to HDMI cable from Maplins.

On my Bravia with the phono lead connected it takes the audio from that rather the the HDMI input, which obviously wouldn't have any coming from DVI on my PC.

So it all works great, thanks for the pointers.