Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Problem playing dvd from hdd (.vob)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i've transferred a few .vob files to the hdd and when i play them back in xbmc the screen blurs around 'active' or moving areas. is this macrovision or some other form of protection?

they play fine from the pc hdd but not on xbox. any help sorting this problem would be appreciated.
what do you mean by "transfered"?, when ripping from orignal dvd-video you must decrypt them with dvd-decrypter or dvd2xbox
(gamester17 @ may 30 2004,19:47 Wrote:what do you mean by "transfered"?, when ripping from orignal dvd-video you must decrypt them with dvd-decrypter or dvd2xbox
i'm using dvd shrink to backup and then ftp-ing accross to xbox. i've tried boxplorer in the past but it does the same.

will dvd2xbox or dvddecrypter help? i really want to compress the files (hence dvd shrink which cuts size by 50%)
neither dvd-shrink or boxplorer decrypts css encrypted dvd-video, you need to decrypt the files before you use dvd-shrink
Quote:neither dvd-shrink or boxplorer decrypts css encrypted dvd-video, you need to decrypt the files before you use dvd-shrink

well depending on what version of dvd-shrink (i assume you are talking about the pc based re-encoding software) you have that isn't true v3 and upwards i know for a fact has encryption removal (i'm pretty sure dvd shrink has always had the encryption removal feature)

dvdshrink being essentially a transcoder, will not provide the best results particularly if you are doing massive compression (say rencoding the dvd to say <65-70% of the orginal size)

bluriness in fast moving scene is one of the first things to appear in high compression encodes.

some thing like cce (using something like dvd-rb- thats about the closes you are going to get to a 1-click cce based solution) may give you a better result particulalry using multiple passes as bit rates can be reassigned to areas that really do require high bit rates (such as fast moving action sequences).

i doubt it is macrovision/encryption issues as these are by default removed and you would have manually have had to change it
thanks for your replies. it turns out it was far simpler though.

i turned off post-proccessing and they play fine now Smile

i use dvd shrink with maximum compression and they're turning out okay. i can't use the search properly though. ie. inputting exact time such as 01:03m in on keypad to go straight to that point in the film, but general scanning is okay. i guess thats to do with the compression