Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10, pulseaudio and xbmc svn
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.

I know pulseaudio isn't supported by xbmc. But the only issue xbmc is having with it is a sound delay on the menu (those "clicks") and, when you play videos, if you stop it, xbmc crash.

Right now, just killing pulseaudio resolves it perfectly, but i'm wondering if there is anything i can do to at least workaround it because everything else works.

(NOTE for the people, kubuntu ships with arts (i think) and no pulseaudio, so no problem there).

Thanks ;-)
Well, you could write a shell script to kill pulseaudio, start xbmc, then restart pulseaudio when done. That would work fine.

At some point these incompatibilities will be fixed, because ubuntu linux is XBMC's primary platform and pulseaudio is part of the distro from 8.04 on.

Edit: Someone already wrote the script, it's in the thread below:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=39788
Yeah, that was what i was doing, but i always think taht those simple scripts are too.... "cheap" if you know what i mean ;-)

Thanks anyway for the tip :-D

btw, i tried running it with: pasuspender -- xbmc (pasuspender suspend temporary the pulseaudio threads until the program exists, then resume them) but doesn't work.

Anyway, killing and enabling again pulseaudio is easy enough like you show, and like one xbmc dev posted here on the forum, not necessary for streaming sound on home (there are other solutions out there for that).

Cheers ;-)
All I did (using SPDIF exclusively) is:

In the volume mixer thingy; I added the LFE, surrounds, centre channel and the iec958 and put a check in its' box under switches.

Then in XBMC I made sure output device and input were both iec958.

No delay or sound problems after that.

Kryspy
Kryspy Wrote:All I did (using SPDIF exclusively) is:

In the volume mixer thingy; I added the LFE, surrounds, centre channel and the iec958 and put a check in its' box under switches.

Kryspy

what volume mixer thing is that?
Ubuntu, top right corner double click the volume icon.

Kryspy
Interesting solution, too bad it doesn't work for us analog users! I haven't been able to find a output device that works for the analog side of th house.. I'll play with it some more.

Kryspy Wrote:All I did (using SPDIF exclusively) is:

Kryspy

[HTML][/HTML]
XBMC appears to works fine with pulseaudio if you only use the digital passthrough. I downmix to PCM most of the time, though.
Kryspy Wrote:Ubuntu, top right corner double click the volume icon.

Kryspy

It didn't occur to me, I have overscan issues on my tv so I can't see the upper corner, but I found it after some clicking around. LOL
Thanks

In the end its finally working, I had to disable the onboard soundcard too.