Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Helped--I killed the XBox!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,
Over a month ago, I was FTPing the latest XBMC build, but because I had previously copied a bunch of music files to the HDD, there was not enough room on the HDD for the transfer to complete, causing the XBMC to freeze. Rebooting didn't help, but I was able to FTP. However, instead of deleting only the music files, i accidentally deleted the contents of all the E:\

I then got a flashing red circle and an Error 16 in the upper left hand corner along with the green message telling you to contact costumer service. I got a copy of AID 4.3 and created an ISO for a DVD and for a CD-RW. I've burned multiple copies in each cd/dvd format but when i boot up with the disc inside, i still get the Error 16 message (and blinking red circle).

HELP! I can't figure out if (a) i am not burning the ISO correctly? or (b) my xbox is history (hence the Error 16)?
When I burn my cd/dvd, I use Nero. I have tried burning the ISO image as 9600 and as UDF (version 1.02 and XBox compatible). I should add that I burned at the slowest speed (2x).

Is there a special trick when using AID 4.3 that isn't documented? Is there another version of AID i should use? Is there another solution besides AID? Perhaps connecting the Xbox HDD directly to my laptop to transfer over the contents of the E:\ drive?

Thanks
Arturo
agon123 Wrote:Hi,
Over a month ago, I was FTPing the latest XBMC build, but because I had previously copied a bunch of music files to the HDD, there was not enough room on the HDD for the transfer to complete, causing the XBMC to freeze. Rebooting didn't help, but I was able to FTP. However, instead of deleting only the music files, i accidentally deleted the contents of all the E:\

I then got a flashing red circle and an Error 16 in the upper left hand corner along with the green message telling you to contact costumer service. I got a copy of AID 4.3 and created an ISO for a DVD and for a CD-RW. I've burned multiple copies in each cd/dvd format but when i boot up with the disc inside, i still get the Error 16 message (and blinking red circle).

HELP! I can't figure out if (a) i am not burning the ISO correctly? or (b) my xbox is history (hence the Error 16)?
When I burn my cd/dvd, I use Nero. I have tried burning the ISO image as 9600 and as UDF (version 1.02 and XBox compatible). I should add that I burned at the slowest speed (2x).

Is there a special trick when using AID 4.3 that isn't documented? Is there another version of AID i should use? Is there another solution besides AID? Perhaps connecting the Xbox HDD directly to my laptop to transfer over the contents of the E:\ drive?

Thanks
Arturo

OK, first thinks first...

Is your xbox hardmodded or softmodded....

A boot disk is only going to load with a hard modded xbox...

If it is hard modded, download something that is an iso burning software....

Nero, alcohal 120%, and magic ISO are all good...

The iso file should open with this program

once you have burned the disk, and nero or whatever program that you are using says that it is finished, then try putting it into the xbox....It will boot if your chip is on, and the disk was burnt right....also burn it at the lowest speed possible....

If your xbox is softmodded, all that you have to do is use the save file, and game that you completed the exploit with...you just have the game in when it starts and the gamesave somewhere that you can load it, the sameway that you modded it to begin with....

You need to start the xbox with the game in before the green x goes away..otherwise, just press the power button with the disk in there to turn it off, and then turn it back on.....

once you have loaded the exploit, you will have ftp capabilities, and you can also choose to remove the softmod (that may not work for you if you deleted the containts of the E:\....)

Hope this helps...post back with any further details...
Thanks for the response. It's a softmod XBox.

Following your suggestion, I tried starting the Xbox with Splinter Cell, which is the original game I had used to install the exploit. But I still received the Error 16 screen, even after multiple attempts to start up the game. Here's what's weird, this game/CD did load up after i deleted the E:\ files. Nothing's changed (since I haven't been able to access the Xbox), so I can't explain why the game isn't loading up anymore. I tried cleaning the CD but it didn't help.

When the game did load up, I tried copying the gamesave then, but wasn't able to, or at least didn't see how to do it. Don't you need to copy from the MS dash? I couldn't copy it since I couldn't find a way to transfer it from the actionsave cartridge to the Xbox.

Any other suggestions?
Have you tried to boot up the xbox with 'frosties xbox rescue' disc?
It will give you a simplified dash that you can then use to rescue / replace missing files to get the xbox back to normal.

Available from the usual sources.
to above poster ITS SOFTMODDED NO RESCUE DISC WILL WORK!! this is why people dont like softmods there os no recovery if something goes wrong. whats happening is its booting your softmod on C which is pointing to E to load the dash but theres nothing there and with a STOCK MS BIOS you cant launch a game if you have Error 16. your only option is hopefully the softmod you installed uses a dualboot feature. i installed a softmod a couple years ago it was either UXE or UDE2, and it was set up so if you boot with the EJECT button it would boot from an alternate location. but honestly i think your toast since your E is gone, only way you can get around it is if you have a eeprom backup of yrour box cuz then you can setup a a HDD with all the right files then lock it to that eeprom and have it boot that HDD or vise versa, unlock yours edit on PC to put files back on then lock back up and but back in xbox. OR buy a mod chip and install that cuz then your boot the cronwell bios and from there you can flash the x2 bios which will let you boot a recovery DVD and then you can setup your hD again
I know you can boot off a Game, even if your c: is empty. (Error 16)
E: Huh

First, do try to boot with Eject
Second, try to put a game in the drive and boot. If your mode game won't load a save game off a memory card, you may need to find a copy of 007 v1.0. That will load a save off a memory card. (Ask me how I know)
Third, If all else fails, do you need a #8 & #11 Star Screw Driver?No

Fact: You do not need a M$ os on an Xbox if you don't want to log onto Live.
(Ask me how I know)
"ITS SOFTMODDED NO RESCUE DISC WILL WORK!!"

EhHuh since when?

I've used Frosties Xbox Rescue disk on many softmodded xboxes which have bummed out while FTPing software over.... only time it wont work is if you unlock the drive

Get a copy... burn on to suitable media... bootup... FTP in... correct the file system! and dont copy junk to places it shouldnt be in the future! Smile

Check here to:-
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/210562 - ERROR 16 Clock Not Set Wink

OR get a spare HDD... copy the EEEPROM and C-Drive (The files you backed up after softmodding you xbox!) and used XboxHD Maker to creat a fresh drive.. its a 10minute job tops.
Hack_kid Wrote:to above poster ITS SOFTMODDED NO RESCUE DISC WILL WORK!!

I would have to disagree with you there.
I only say this because I was in a similar situation as the op.
I attempted to delete a file from 'E' and ended up deleting all of the contents of 'E'.

Same error code, I knew I had screwed up but tried the 'frosties' disc.
This gave me the simplified dash and from there I was able to ftp the missing files back to the xbox and reboot.

I initially planned to do a hd rebuild using the eprom (op , you did back it up right?) but tried the rescue disc after a suggestion from another user.

So, op. Try it out. you might have similar results.
"(op , you did back it up right?) "

Smile my thoughts exactly.... soooooo many times people just forget or not bother... until one day WHALLOP!! no xbox... Sad

I keep all mine on a server.. even the people I have built Xboxes for... makes it so easy nowadays with all the great software out there..
thanks for all the input.
I am hopeful that Frosty's Rescue Disk will work. I got v1.0 and will try it. Unfortunately, my wedding and honeymoon this week will keep me from trying it until later this month.
agon123 Wrote:thanks for all the input.
I am hopeful that Frosty's Rescue Disk will work. I got v1.0 and will try it. Unfortunately, my wedding and honeymoon this week will keep me from trying it until later this month.

Lol, that has to be the all time number 1 best excuse I have ever heard. Rolleyes

Congrats..
Nod
wow maybe i'm out of the loop then. any softmodded box i've had that crapped out on me i had to just toss if this is indeed true i have like 2 or 3 boxes i can fix. or maybe its because i dont have the HDDs i cant remember the exact problem with them its been so long
never through them out!!! Xboxes dont die! they just become media centres!!! You can make a EEEPROM reader... there is a few how too's out there.. old serial cable and a few components.. hyperterminal and you can read the eeeprom off....
I may be doing something wrong when I burn Frosty's Rescue DVD. I burn the iso image that is in the zip file but the dash doesn't boot up. I am using Nero 6.6 to burn on to a DVD-R disk. To be safe, I burned at 2X speed (the lowest setting). After inserting the disk, the initial Xbox splash is shown, but after a few seconds, the circle flashes, stays red, and the "Error 16" message shows up on screen.

I am going to try and burn a DVD-R using UDF (enabling XBox compatibility). But I am wondering if there are other issues preventing the Dash from booting up? I had been able to boot up the Splinter Cell game after this first happened, so I am sure that the C drive contents are fine.
What version of Frosty's Rescue Disk have people have had success with? Can you contact me privately to give me more information about where I can download it? I am using v1.0.
Thanks--And happy XBMC-ing!
Also try a different brand of blank media.... xbox is very fussy
Pages: 1 2