Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to use Win32 codecs inside XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i want to use a codec from windows (acelp.net) inside xbmc, the people from mplayer say that if you want to import win32 codecs on mplayer you need to compile mplayer with the codecs inside an specific folder ( mplayer win32 codecs)

this is true for xbmc too?

tnx
thanks, i read this thead before, but... if you go to the mplayer site, this guys say that you can use win32 codecs, specificaly they say that i can use the codec that i need to use, acelp.net, but you need to compile mplayer with this codec in a folder.
this is true for the linux/unix implementation of mplayer, my cuestion is... it is valid too for the xbmc implementation of mplayer? i need to compile xbmc with the codec in place?

i think that when you compile, the program generate the file codecs.conf that is a configuration file for mplayer that specify wich codecs are available and the file (dll, ax) that use to decode.

any sugestion?
read it again, specifically this part:

Quote:another thing to note is a few codecs that are supported by mplayer but not working in xbmc; generally all native codecs of mplayer work in xbmc just fine, (these include things like mpeg1, mpeg2, divx 3.11, xvid, mp3 etc. which mplayer has the full source code of nativly). however external codecs like dll's (all binary codecs which no source code is available for) generally do not work in xbmc; we managed to port support for a few like realmedia, wmv9 and wma9 into xbmc but it's a hell of a job to code. problem is that these codecs depend very heavily on windows, in linux mplayer have managed to emulate windows pretty well because it has the resourses of a full operating system, but the xbox has it's limitations and it's very, very hard, if not impossible for us to do this perfectly for xbmc

sure under linux it'll work because linux is a complete operating system, it can emulate windows to a degree. however there is no such operating system on the xbox. support has to be coded for each and every win32 codec you can't just compile mplayer.dll to support any win32 codec. read the above quote properly.

xbmc isn't just a compile of mplayer for the xbox, it wasn't anywhere near that easy to get working. tons and tons and tons of extra work had to be done just to get mplayer working on the xbox, since there is no os to run it. and since the win32 codecs rely on an operating system to work tons and tons and tons of work has to be done to get each codec working.
thanks deltop!!

you are rigth!!

now i see that i dont read the cuote very well Sad

thanks a lot!

pablo.