Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC on AppleTV: no remote
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi -

I was very excited to complete the installation of Atlantis Beta 2 on my AppleTV. Install went without a hitch. And I could launch XBMC and see the (windowed) XBMC home page - hurray!

But... I cannot go any further. Sad The remote is useless once I reach XBMC. I even have to reboot the ATV to exit XBMC.

Tell me that I am missing something obvious here?
(I read about putting XBMC in full screen, but I suppose I would need to access the settings menu of XBMC first. Also saw the thread on customizing the remote keys, but I'm just looking for the basics first).

Thanks in advance for any pointer!
Hi and welcome to this forum,

dmdatv Wrote:Hi -

I was very excited to complete the installation of Atlantis Beta 2 on my AppleTV. Install went without a hitch. And I could launch XBMC and see the (windowed) XBMC home page - hurray!

Few questions:
What ATV version do you have?
How did you install XBMC?
What are you using to launch XBMC (Nito, XBMCLauncher, ...)?

dmdatv Wrote:But... I cannot go any further. Sad The remote is useless once I reach XBMC. I even have to reboot the ATV to exit XBMC.

Tell me that I am missing something obvious here?
(I read about putting XBMC in full screen, but I suppose I would need to access the settings menu of XBMC first. Also saw the thread on customizing the remote keys, but I'm just looking for the basics first).

Thanks in advance for any pointer!

Need to see the logs to give hints...
Don't forget to update the Launcher if you haven't already. I had to do this to get the remote working.

Good luck
spiderlane Wrote:Don't forget to update the Launcher if you haven't already. I had to do this to get the remote working.
Good luck

Spiderlane - thanks for the reply.

Interesting - I totally missed that launcher... I did a manual install of XBMC and simply created a symlink under apps that I could then launch using NitoTV. I'm going to install that launcher tonight:
http://code.google.com/p/atv-xbmc-launch...loads/list
MaestroDD,

Sorry, I should have included all these details in the first place:

Quote:Few questions:
What ATV version do you have?
1st generation, 40GB, upgraded to 2.2 and then patched using a minimal patchstick (that only installed SSH).

Quote:How did you install XBMC?
Downloaded XBMC for OSX, sftp-ed it to my ATV and installed it.

Quote:What are you using to launch XBMC (Nito, XBMCLauncher, ...)?
NitoTV. I just created a symlink under app for XBMC and launching it this way. I plan on trying out the atv-xbmc-launcher tonight (is that the recommended way?).

I'll also work on getting the logs if problem persists. Thanks for the reply and pointers to the launcher!
dmdatv Wrote:...

Downloaded XBMC for OSX, sftp-ed it to my ATV and installed it.

NitoTV. I just created a symlink under app for XBMC and launching it this way. I plan on trying out the atv-xbmc-launcher tonight (is that the recommended way?).

I'll also work on getting the logs if problem persists. Thanks for the reply and pointers to the launcher!

XBMCLauncher is currently the easiest way to get XBMC running properly, as it does IR handling. IIRC there's a thread in this forum with instructions on howto build XBMCHelper for ATV, which would the another way to get your remote working.
Thanks everyone - using the launcher to update XBMC solved all my issues! XBMC looks great. I had tried almost all media players on the market before settling on the ATV - the first one with a decent interface. But I have to say that XBMC is quite something. Back to exploring this more!