Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: VDPAU API for Linux released by NVIDIA today - GPU hardware accelerated video decoder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
there is 8400 GS with old chip (gainward for exemple).
They have 1 version with PCI Express 1 & an other with PCI Express 2 under the same reference.

So, depending of the constructor, GS can't garantee that there is a G98.
nunu Wrote:you have 8400 GS with old chip (gainward for exemple).
They have a verison with PCI Express 1 & PCI Express 2 under the same reference.

So, depending of the constructor, GS can't garantee that there is a G98.

No guarantees - as always, my advice is to just do some research on the card that interests you. For me - I saw what was available in my area, and at a decent price and went from there. Just happens that the asus en8400 was both cheap, and available, and has full capabilities (I don't need VC-1 so much, but nice to have.) My main criteria for this card was I needed one with TV-out and x264 decoding.

Cheers
davilla Wrote:Use MediaInfo to fully quality your video content. If you see 5.1 profile, that might be your problem. From above, vdpau does not support h.264 5.1 profile.
So it has the same "problems" as DXVA under Windows, with non standard encodings? L5.1 does not get any acceleration and falls back to CPU decoding?
it uses the exactly same hw as dxva under windows, and thus has the same limitations.
spiff Wrote:it uses the exactly same hw as dxva under windows, and thus has the same limitations.
Cool, thanks for the explanation.

I always believed that that implementation (limit to L4.1) was just in the Windows drivers and not a limitation on the hardware side (it still sounds strange to go from 100% offloading to 0% but I'm definitely out of my league in "judging" this).
Actually h264 L5.1 dxva was enabled in a recent windows beta driver.
However there are still some limitations with reference frames i.e 1080p can have no more than 11
motd2k uses 16 max reference frames. An improvement could be to check how much actually is needed and adapt the maximum value. I think this would lower the memory requirements (to be safe now, you need 512M)
It will attempt to decode 5.1 from what I've read. If you could point me at some source material I can do my best to see it works.
beefke Wrote:motd2k uses 16 max reference frames. An improvement could be to check how much actually is needed and adapt the maximum value. I think this would lower the memory requirements (to be safe now, you need 512M)

I did read somewhere that this is what Nvidia recommends but I can not find where. It may have been on Doom9 forum.
Its a dirty hack, but its needed to prevent crashing :-S
motd2k, thankyou every so much for your amazing work here, and thanks to any other devs that pitched in. What I want to know is, how do I buy you a beer my good man/woman?

paypal? prefer I donate to XBMC straight? whats your poison?
Is this working good and is stable already?
Only way I can get a smooth 720p playback on my atom 330 motherboard is using ffmpeg-mt patch. But that is very unstable, so I'm thinking about buying a Nvidia 8400 for this instead.
Beagleux Wrote:Is this working good and is stable already?
Only way I can get a smooth 720p playback on my atom 330 motherboard is using ffmpeg-mt patch. But that is very unstable, so I'm thinking about buying a Nvidia 8400 for this instead.

Quote:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-text-_-

It's a G98 gpu, works like a champ with vdpau.
And with regards to stability, is that a serious question? Have you read the thread at all?

You'll see that motd2k only recently started on it and is only in its own branch at this time.
tslayer Wrote:And with regards to stability, is that a serious question? Have you read the thread at all?

You'll see that motd2k only recently started on it and is only in its own branch at this time.

I've read the thread and the question was based on peoples reactions. Haven't seen any post complaining about crashes...
By stable i mean "stable enough" to play movies.

Thanks for the gfx-card tip, seems to be the only PCI Nvidia 8400 sold in sweden aswell.

Also want to thanks motd2k for the good work =)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28