Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can't copy to ext3 SATA Drive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am running XBMC (sdb1) Live 8.10 on my usb stick. I have an internal SATA Drive formatted to ext3 (sda1).

I can copy when I go into the terminal from the usb to the hard drive.

What I want to be able to do is SSH from my Vista machine into the XBMC machine and copy files to (sda1). Is this possible? I can see it I could get into it, but I can't write to it.
you need to enable root access by typing this from terminal

sudo passwd root

enter your password then new unix (root) password.

then type

sudo passwd --unlock root

You can now login as root using ssh and should be able to copy files.

cheers
Thanks that worked. One more question, I have an external hard drive, formatted NTFS, XBMC won't see it. Am I going to have to format the drive to either Fat32, or ext3?
I dont have any ntfs file systems to test but i reckon it should work. Try booting up live with the ntfs drive turned off. After xbmc has started turn it on. Hopefully it will mount it ok. If that doesn't work then maybe a re-format is the next step, a bit of a pain though.

cheers
Yes I did try what you suggested, and it didn't mount. I'm backing up my files now via ssh before I reformat...

I found a way to mount the drive here's something I threw together after searching the linux forums

LOADING NTFS DRIVE TO XBMC

Backup your fstab
Code:
sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.bak
    sudo nano /etc/fstab

Add these lines to your fstab
Code:
/dev/<your partition>    /media/<mount point> ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.utf8    0    0

If your partition isn't there, your going to have to create a directory where you want to mount it
Code:
sudo mkdir /media/<the name you want>

At this point you need to remount your drive
Code:
sudo umount /dev/<your partition>
    sudo mount -a