Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: xbmc gone from my atv after auto-update?!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
so i was watching something on xbmc last night - left it running..and came back just now and it was still running hit menu and the atv rebooted twice and showed a progress bar as if it was doing an autoupdate (atv prompted me for an update a day ago and i ignored it) and after the update xbmc and everything that i installed xbmc/boxee etc is missing from the menu

just wanted to see if anyone else experienced this? what do you suggest i do? just reinstall it?

please advise

thanks
to be safe i would do a factory restore by holding menu & - until it restarts then choose factory restore.

if your factory firmware is 2.1 i would leave it as is without updating to 2.2 and repatch with atvusb-creator.

you can disable auto update by typing this in ssh to appletv:
Code:
sudo bash -c 'echo "127.0.0.1       mesu.apple.com" >> /etc/hosts'
It wasn't showing for me too. I am almost sure that the problem was caused due not enough space available on /dev/disk0s3.
hmm i mean i have plenty of space on all my drives so that prolly not the issue on my end

i just checked itunes and its def running 2.2

so if i do a reset and repatch it - will it go back down to 2.1?
ravidium Wrote:hmm i mean i have plenty of space on all my drives so that prolly not the issue on my end

i just checked itunes and its def running 2.2

so if i do a reset and repatch it - will it go back down to 2.1?

Need to watch where files are stored, OSBoot is /dev/disk0s3 which is only 900.0 MB and Media is symlinked to /mnt. /Users/frontrow is on Media (/dev/disk0s4) so files placed there will be on the largest disk partition. If you do a "sudo ls -l /" you will see the symlink structure.

If your AppleTV came with 2.1, then a factory restore will reset it to r2.1. Otherwise it will go back to the original shipped version. r2.1 dmg is still present on Apple servers, I would grab it now before it vanishes like all the previous versions. The URL is;
Code:
http://mesu.apple.com/data/OS/061-4632.2080414.gt5rW/2Z694-5428-3.dmg

For a method to manually update to r2.1 see;
Code:
http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/OSupdate

Anytime the AppleTV is updated or factory restored, all custom mods are lost and you have to re-patch using a patchstick. Nature of the beast Smile
ah okay! let me try factory restore and see where that takes me first before i do a manual downgrade

ill keep you posted
docbrown Wrote:to be safe i would do a factory restore by holding menu & - until it restarts then choose factory restore.

if your factory firmware is 2.1 i would leave it as is without updating to 2.2 and repatch with atvusb-creator.

Code:

okay i just did a factory restore and it reset back to 2.1 which is great

can you please explain maybe step by step how to terminal in and disable the autoupdate

i appreciate it
how do we reverse it then, so we can update once davilla and maestroDD say it's ok?
xeonicxpression Wrote:how do we reverse it then, so we can update once davilla and maestroDD say it's ok?

edit "/etc/hosts" and remove "127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com"
docbrown Wrote:to be safe i would do a factory restore by holding menu & - until it restarts then choose factory restore.

Code:

k just tried it again

I think its cuz i put a space between the brackets and did it as "> >" instead of ">>" ..i did it again and i think it worked - is there anyway to know for sure?
ravidium Wrote:k just tried it again

I think its cuz i put a space between the brackets and did it as "> >" instead of ">>" ..i did it again and i think it worked - is there anyway to know for sure?

">>" is an append, "> >" I think will replace the contents with the quoted text.

You need to list the contents of /etc/hosts to make sure you did not wipe out the original contents which would be the following

Code:
##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1       localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1             localhost

It will look like this if you did the command correctly.

Code:
##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1       localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1             localhost
127.0.0.1       mesu.apple.com
whats the command to list that directory

sorry noobie
ravidium Wrote:whats the command to list that directory

sorry noobie

cat /etc/hosts

to edit it (if you also installed binutils)

sudo nano /etc/hosts

control-x to save and exit
Pages: 1 2