Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Saving changes to network interfaces
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everybody;

This is my first message as contributor although I've been following the forum now for a while.
Being an XBOX owner, decided to try XBMC Live once Atlantis got to stable status. I installed it to an USB pendrive and run in a DELL D420 laptop.

I got it to work almost immediately, but have an issue with the Wifi interface since it wasn't enabled. Reading here, got to know that I had to create a manual entry in /etc/network/interfaces. I did it, and after running "ifup wlan0" and returning to XBMC it works. Huray!

The problem is the changes are lost and after rebooting the file /etc/network/interfaces gets back to the default setting.

Am I missing some step or is there any other way to do it in such a way that the change remains persistent?

Best regards
I reply to myself; found the solution of the problem.

Actually is two-fold:

- First, I discovered the changes weren't saving. I got to save them by ensuring the changes were saved to disk by waiting some minutes before shutting-down and running several "sync" commands (not sure which of the two made the trick but both together made it). It seems that I used to save and restart too quick to get the changes saved to disk or the shutdown from the XBMC shutdown do not sync changes to disk

- Second, I missed to include a line "auto wlan0" on the said /etc/network/interfaces file. Without the line I had to run manually "sudo ifup wlan0" but with that line the interface comes up automatically.

Sorry to be enthusiastic, but it has been my first problem solved on this platform. Nod