Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HDMI Audio problem in Kubuntu 8.10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

Another HDMI audio thread...........

Have installed Kubuntu 8.10 on my HTPC with a Asus P5E-VM (Intel based) motherboard there im running HDMI out for both video and audio (would like to keep it this way since its a dualboot machine). There are many threads about PulseAudio problem, I have basicly cheched that PulseAudio is killed and replaced with ALSA (seams to be default in Kubuntu), also checked that the digital output channels isnt muted.

Now I got system sound (then logging in and out) and also sound in Dragonplayer, but the sound dont work in XBMC and some other applications like Amarok and Mplayer (it will be a dedicatid XBMC machine so no need to get it working in other application then XBMC). Tried different settings in XBMC. The card is listed in "aplayer -l" as card 0:3. Any ideas what to do?

Regards
If it's a dedicated HTPC, you may want to look into not running a DE at all, but booting straight to XBMC instead. Check out here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=38473

FYI. KDE (4.x) does not use PulseAudio but Phonon instead as something similar. I don't believe there are problems there with XBMC (but could definitely be wrong).

TheUni
Thanks!

You are probably right. I think the problem is the HDMI Audio part witch obviously works for the system and some application but not all the way. I dont understand how it could work in just some programs......

Would skipping the desktop improve the chance to get the sound working and if so - would I better start with Ubuntu or Kubuntu and 8.04 or 8.10? (have tried the live XBMC witch just boots to a black screen)

Regards