Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [AppleTV] HOW-TO disable the Apple TV auto-update (ATV)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Er...ok. Listen, I'm an utter noob, so please explain in detailHuh.... Are you saying I should be looking for "cat /etc/hosts" in my terminal window after I've entered the script?
Sekou Wrote:Er...ok. Listen, I'm an utter noob, so please explain in detailHuh.... Are you saying I should be looking for "cat /etc/hosts" in my terminal window after I've entered the script?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_(Unix)

"cat" is a command-line application. Use it to dump/display the contents of a file.

So "cat /etc/hosts" will display the contents of the file "host" in the path "/etc".

you should see your addition on the last line.
And there it is! Ahhh Davilla...is there anything you don't know?
Sekou Wrote:And there it is! Ahhh Davilla...is there anything you don't know?

Not much, and what I don't know, I fake Smile
davilla Wrote:Do you have ssh enabled on the AppleTV?

Hi Davilla,

I don't think so .. how can I check? because when I first got my Apple TV, I did the whole trick with he USB & I was able to successfully install XBMC on my Apple TV. I could run all my media up until one day I switched on my Apple TV and boom, XBMC was gone.

I am a complete noob when it comes to this stuff. So your help would be greatly appreciated.
thesaint Wrote:Hi Davilla,

I don't think so .. how can I check? because when I first got my Apple TV, I did the whole trick with he USB & I was able to successfully install XBMC on my Apple TV. I could run all my media up until one day I switched on my Apple TV and boom, XBMC was gone.

I am a complete noob when it comes to this stuff. So your help would be greatly appreciated.

looks like your ATV autoupdated. just grab a current patchstick version and patch again. You may want to disable autoupdate this time in Launcher's Settings menu.
Stupid question, but for the first time in ages I have rented a movie from the itunes store via iTunes on my PC and it does not appear on the Apple TV nor can I tell it to move to the Apple TV (no videos/movies etc option on the AppleTV section in iTunes).

Does anyone know if doing this change makes the Apple TV not able to view rented movies from iTunes on the PC (i.e. does making the AppleTV go to 127.0.0.1 for the mesu apple address also affect this, or is that Apple address only used for updates).

(Would try it first myself by taking out the line from the ATVs host file, but everything is else is working fine at the moment XBMC wise and I don't want Apple to force a ATV update down my throat while I'm not looking).
yzeyze Wrote:Stupid question, but for the first time in ages I have rented a movie from the itunes store via iTunes on my PC and it does not appear on the Apple TV nor can I tell it to move to the Apple TV (no videos/movies etc option on the AppleTV section in iTunes).

Does anyone know if doing this change makes the Apple TV not able to view rented movies from iTunes on the PC (i.e. does making the AppleTV go to 127.0.0.1 for the mesu apple address also affect this, or is that Apple address only used for updates).

(Would try it first myself by taking out the line from the ATVs host file, but everything is else is working fine at the moment XBMC wise and I don't want Apple to force a ATV update down my throat while I'm not looking).

no, the mesu apple address has nothing to do with iTunes.
davilla Wrote:no, the mesu apple address has nothing to do with iTunes.

Thanks for that - gave me somewhere to look.
Not sure how I fixed it, but upgraded itunes, logged out/in on both PC and ATV, authorized / deauthorized computer and appears to work now.
As you said, the mesu address did not affect it.
pmcd Wrote:To re-enable do we just comment out or delete that last line in hosts? No rebooting, etc...?

philip

Yes, deleting the line enables the ATV to contact the 'real' update-server again...
I'm new here, but you probably should proceed with caution, because an auto-update can/will disable your patchstick functionality.
At this time can't you just go to the settings menu under launcher on the appletv and and for "ATV OS update enabled" select no?
A question I've been meaning to ask, is there any reason to upgrade the the aTV after we've disabled the autoupdate, if we're only going to be using it strictly with XBMC?
Pages: 1 2 3