Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can't install new skins - permission error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I can FTP into my ATV (using FireFTP) but when I try to copy over skins to the directory:

/Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/skin/

I get permission errors. I can't create any directories or even copy files. For example, when I try to copy the skin over I get the error message:

mkdir /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/skin/Horizonz - An Aeon Mod: permission denied: /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/skin/Horizonz - An Aeon Mod

What is weird is that I can make directories and copy files to other locations on the ATV (for example, I can create a directory here:

/mnt/Scratch/Users/frontrow

The Skins directory shows it is chmod 0755

any ideas what is going on?
Try using sudo infront of the command, even with 755 you're probably not in the right group, 5 means execute and read but not write.

Using sudo will temporarily give you admin and you will need to provide the root password (frontrow on the ATV).

As always use with caution...
By the way:

ls -la

is useful. For example you will see this for the skin directory:

drwxr-xr-x 5 root admin 170 Nov 19 22:55 skin

This means that it is owned by root who is a member of the group admin. d means directory, rwx means that root can read write and execute, r-x means that anyone in the admin group can read and execute (but not write) and the final three characters (r-x (again)) means that anyone (world) can read and execute but can't write.

Do something similar in your home directory (/mnt/Scratch/Users/frontrow) and you'll see:

drwxr-xr-x 2 frontrow frontrow 68 Nov 18 07:38 Pictures

Since you are logged inas frontrow you have rwx (read, write and execute) permissions.

Hope this helps?

Saracen