Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Having a lot of trouble with apple remote on mac mini
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just installed xmbc and I'm having trouble with the remote. I have the remote option set to "apple remote" I have it set to full time. Basic navigation works, but when watching a movie pressing the up button does not skip forward 10%. It changes xmbc's volume. Same goes for down. Holding left or right doesn't fast forward either. The most important problem though is that pressing menu does not launch xmbc. It doesn't do anything at all. At least it doesn't launch front row so the helper is having some effect. I have restarted my computer but it hasn't fixed anything.

Any help you can offer is apreciated
Dan
I figured out the problem. I'm hoping you can help me find a more suitable answer. According to the console, the xbmc program was looking for the xbmc program in the wrong location. It was looking for it at /applications/xbmc.app/xbmc.

The console log was

"11/26/08 6:02:18 PM [0x0-0x27027].com.teamxbmc.xbmc The file /Applications/XBMC.app/XBMC does not exist. "

So i put a symlinc for XBMC where the helper was looking for it.
Now it launches but i get a terminal window as well with the text
"Last login: Wed Nov 26 18:09:43 on ttys000
Macintosh:~ Mini$ /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/XBMC ; exit;
sh: XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/tools/preflight: No such file or directory
Asking helper to start.
QZ_SetVideoWindowed(720, 480)
Using display 711483424
++ WARN: could not retrieve file info for `image.nrg': No such file or directory
++ WARN: can't open nrg image file image.nrg for reading"

If i close the terminal window, then xbmc closes as well. Does anyone know of a way to get the helper application look for xbmc in the correct location? Or does anyone know how to get rid of the error. This seems like a just a simple careless mistake by the developers.

Thanks for any insight
K2snowboards88 Wrote:If i close the terminal window, then xbmc closes as well. Does anyone know of a way to get the helper application look for xbmc in the correct location? Or does anyone know how to get rid of the error. This seems like a just a simple careless mistake by the developers.

Just create a symlink inside /Applications/XBMC.app to the parent directory itself, i.e.:

Code:
$ ls -l /Applications/XBMC.app
total 8
drwxr-xr-x   6 user  admin  204 Nov 14 20:02 Contents
lrwxr-xr-x   1 user  admin   22 Nov 26 23:46 XBMC -> /Applications/XBMC.app
$

Works for me, except that sometimes it seems Front Row interferes with XBMC when I use my Apple Remote. I simply removed Front Row from my system, problem solved:-)
K2snowboards88, have you been able to solve this problem meanwhile?
I'm a xbmc-newbie and facing the exact same situation...

brassybadger's way to symlink didn't work for me (and I think it can't work anyways, right?)...
thanks, this tip worked for me on mac mini with leopard and with the same problems as the other guys.

i just wanna report to help the my ls -l output is a little different:

Code:
mac-mini-di-paolo:~ paolo$ ls -l /Applications/XBMC.app
total 384
drwxr-xr-x  6 paolo  admin  204 14 Nov 20:02 Contents
-rw-r--r--@ 1 paolo  admin    0 24 Dic 15:53 XBMC

thanks for help

paolo