Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: ATV V2.3 black screen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi I'm wondering if someone else has experienced the following ...

I just installed atv-win-1.0.b11 after ATV auto update wiped my previous install. also upgraded XBMC launcher and XBMC straight after install & dissabled ATV auto updatesSmile

Everything is ok on the very first boot after the reset of ATV.
play movies etc...

Exit back to ATV menu, re-enter XBMC menu - BLACK SCREEN but intro sound is there. Blindly press the ATV remote 2ce up and 2ce enter(ie close off XBMC), Voila back to visible ATV menu.

ENTER XBMC again and all is cool again
you can do this infinitum in a Flip Flop maner.

I am also connected via the component o/p and not the DVI.

Should I factory reset and start againwith V2.2 ?
This is a known issue. If your ATV has 2.2 as its factory installed OS, then I would do a restore. Then you could optionally turn off auto updates per this posting to avoid the ATV updating to 2.3:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=40744
Thank you Gilbreen. I'm kind of new to this arena. I did look for similar reports on the forum but came up empty handed so I decided to join an maybe learn a bit more.
You bet. I am sitting tight at 2.2 since my factory restore would take me back to 1.0 on both of my ATVs.

I couldn't find it earlier, but here is the posting that explains how to get out of the black screen in more detail:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=247488&postcount=1

Welcome to the forums!
Same here...

Bit I discovered a little trick: my AppleTV is connected via HDMI on my Yamaha A/V amplifier. This one is connected on the LCD TV via HDMI also. My Yamaha is able to manage the HDMI and upscale/downscale the video signals.

So, at the black screen mentioned, switching up or down the resolution on the Yamaha menu, exiting from the menu', I can see again the main window of XBMC and of course use it again.

Hope this help,
Yeah, this is a know problem and next to the video calibration not being saved one of the more annoying bugs. I found out I could get the screen back by just turn my LCD tv off and then on again (HDMI connection), you might wanna try that, maybe it works for you too.

Randy.
I actually had XBMC running perfectly fine with 2.3, however I went to the video settings and saw 1920x1080 and thought, oh that's great, so I applied the change, and of course, now I have a black screen. XBMC is running, since when I press the Apple TV remote, I can hear the clicks.

There must be a way (via ssh) to delete or modify the file(s) which pertains to the screen resolution. Or perhaps there is a way to delete the installation and reinstall it? Someone must know; I haven't been able to find the answer.
Maybe you can edit:

/Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/guisettings.xml
You can downgrade to 2.2 as well. It's a sticky on this page, but know that the script doesn't work. You can do it line by line (explained in page 3), or replace your factory restore image with 2.2. I did the latter, ran the factory restore, repatched using b11 and 2.2 firmware, and reset my XMBC settings. Also disabled updates using the new setting on launcher. All in all took a little over a hour and worth it.
Hi, I am new to xbmc and have 1.0b10 installed. I could not get anything other than the black screen until I change the resolution of the AppleTV to 1080i. In other words, xmbc does not work for me at 780p. Hope this helps
Launcher has just been updated from 0.8 to 2.0 (there's a thread on this). Install the new launcher and that should fix the black screen problem.
Thanks all, After much stuffing around, have hooked up HDMI, gone back to ATV version 2.2
Reloaded the XBMC and dissabled ATV updates. Have even worked out how to create a USB install on an xp machine that works on any USB. Only problem is I can only get one choice of resolution to the HDMI and this is 60hz. Squashes the picture a bit as here in AUS we have 50Hz
Anyhow cheers and thanks for the info.