Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Getting ready to make an xbmc media box and have a question on soft modding
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
can anyone tell me if there is a disadvantage to soft modding?
the process looks pretty easy, but is there a downside
jamesh2 Wrote:can anyone tell me if there is a disadvantage to soft modding?
the process looks pretty easy, but is there a downside

Not really any downsides, they can do pretty much anything an xbox with a chip can do. After you do your softmod just make sure you save the eeprom then you can easily rebuild your drive or put another drive in if anything ever goes wrong.
That is the main "downside". It can go bad and then you would need a chip unless you backed up your eeprom. So like gabbot said, back that up first thing. A chip just makes it easier in case something goes wrong. It will save you from having to rebuild a drive for instance. I have had a couple things go wrong but nothing that couldn't be fixed using a recovery DVD. (So far) But I also know how to rebuild a drive from scratch so nothing should ever keep me from using it without a chip.

J_K_M_A_N
there is really no downside. I have both chip and softmod xbox and there is no real difference.
stacked Wrote:there is really no downside. I have both chip and softmod xbox and there is no real difference.
I second this. No difference for XBMC, except installing XBMC as your primary dash is trickier and most won't recommend doing this either.
Difference comes in other non XBMC apps that may require different bios - you can also have a different dashboard for each bios on the modchip flash.