Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Wirelees streaming?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got a computer running windows xp. on the network wireless g. It would be where I would store my video files. I wondered if the xbox with xbmc could run on the network wirelessly as well on a g adaptor. Do you think it will work or run smoothly. Anyone else doing this? What are you finding.
Thanks,
C
I have xbox connected to router, media stored on wireless pc. All runs fine.
It'll connect however how well it works depends entirely on you environment. In general, there's a resounding "NO" when it comes to trying to stream video over wireless. The frequency range it uses is just too crowded and you'll get a lot of dropped packets even though the signal is "strong". Best bet is to wire it.
althekiller Wrote:In general, there's a resounding "NO" when it comes to trying to stream video over wireless.

I'd have to disagree. I do exactly that on a daily basis. In fact I'm doing it from this laptop as I type. Wink I don't do HD, so I can't speak to that, but avi's of movies and tv shows work perfectly fine.
If you're willing to play with it you can make it work with standard def files, if you use anything HD your odds are very low unless you're using wireless N as G doesn't have the bandwidth. If at all possible you should wire it but if you really don't want wire it you can play standard def files over wireless G but it may take some tweaking. If you have lots of interference you may not be able to get it working smoothly at all.
my xbox is plugged into a linksys wrt54g router thats running DD-WRT and configured as a wireless client bridge, ie the wirelss on the router connects to my other router where my desktop is connected too. i have no problems streaming movies. although using ushare for upnp drops out on me at times, smb hasnt been a problem, at least for cutting off movies, i have a whole other type of problem with smb right now, but thats not related to my network setup.

here's a pic of my network map, might explain things a little better. but everything is wireless G
Burncycle Wrote:I'd have to disagree. I do exactly that on a daily basis. In fact I'm doing it from this laptop as I type. Wink I don't do HD, so I can't speak to that, but avi's of movies and tv shows work perfectly fine.

Way to not quote the "...how well it works depends entirely on your environment." part. You clearly have an exceptionally clean RF environment. I remember not being able to stream SD XVIDs from a laptop that was 8' away from the router when I was in the dorms at school (exceptionally shitty RF environment). The resounding "NO" conclusion was drawn from supporting XBMC since 2003 and observing users' experiences.

That being said, HD vs SD is moot as the xbox has no hopes of decoding HD material encoded in such a way that even wireless G can't keep up (in a clean RF environment).
Yesterday I was playing a normal 700MB XviD movie via SMB share (movie on windows PC with WLAN -> WLAN Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT router -> windows PC on LAN with XMBC)
after about 20minutes of normal playing I got an error - data not available or something (maybe a short wifi disconnect??) and then I had to play it again and after few more minutes movie stopped again?

How can I assure stable video sharing via WiFi?
alessio2 Wrote:Yesterday I was playing a normal 700MB XviD movie via SMB share (movie on windows PC with WLAN -> WLAN Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT router -> windows PC on LAN with XBMC)
after about 20minutes of normal playing I got an error - data not available or something (maybe a short wifi disconnect??) and then I had to play it again and after few more minutes movie stopped again?

How can I assure stable video sharing via WiFi?

Bu using a rock steady router and wifi card with solid drivers Smile
intranix Wrote:Bu using a rock steady router and wifi card with solid drivers Smile
Yea... but you can never trust 100% to a wireless network.

Is there and buffer-like solution for this?