Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Biggest hard drive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've got a xbox that has been laying around on my shelf for about a year or more and was looking at installing xbmc on it just to play around with it and see if I like it. But I would like to put in a bigger hard drive so I could keep more files on it (DVD's I might wanna rip, MP3's, ect...ect...), I was wondering what is the biggest supported hard drive size I can put into one of these things? Thanks for the help.
The best option isn't to put a larger drive in the xbox, is to share one over the network.
Search LBA48 on xbox-scene forums. It's tricky so pay attention and do A LOT of research. Otherwise you'll be in here in a month asking where all of you files have gone.

NOTE: I'm not going to _give_ you the answer (nor should anyone else) as this is something that's commonly glazed over by new comers and they nearly always end up loosing all of their data. You REALLY need to educate yourself on the subject before diving it.
Well, only thing I'm saying (AlTheKiller: I hope I'm not saying too much here, if so just remove my post ;-)) that any harddrive below 250GiB (actually 256GiB) should be save (if prepared with Slayer's). Anything above 250GiB is only for experts (and that maybe even doesn't include myself)....
That's only a safe assumption if your bios supports lba48.
i have a 500gb in mine. i had a 320gb and 160gb before that. i remember having to use a certain partitioning tool, because the xb has a limitation to do with 16k clusters that you run into with a partition over a certain size. i had to use xbpartitioner i think to reformat my g drive with 32k clusters so that i could use all teh space. without that, i could only use so much space on the partition and then it gave me errors. i cant remember exactly, but it was along those lines, thats why i usually only install 320gb drives for other people, so i dont run into those problems
althekiller Wrote:That's only a safe assumption if your bios supports lba48.

Absolutely correctomundo. Forgot about this. So you're right: it probably would have been better if I just had shut up once again ;-)
My tip!!
Theres different ways depending on how your xbox is modded, softmod or "chipped" hardmod.

My advice... search for softmod LBA48, google comes back with a heap of "how-too's" on the first page.
Ok thanks for the answers and pointing me where I need to start looking for an answer.

Like I said in my above post this thing has been setting on my shelf for well over a year. So if this thing gets bricked its no big loss to me. I didn't store any files on it other then some saved games, and when I got my 360 I replayed most of them on that.
ssl6 Wrote:i have a 500gb in mine. i had a 320gb and 160gb before that. i remember having to use a certain partitioning tool, because the xb has a limitation to do with 16k clusters that you run into with a partition over a certain size. i had to use xbpartitioner i think to reformat my g drive with 32k clusters so that i could use all teh space. without that, i could only use so much space on the partition and then it gave me errors. i cant remember exactly, but it was along those lines, thats why i usually only install 320gb drives for other people, so i dont run into those problems

You will run into a problem anytime a single partition is over 256G
joebrady Wrote:You will run into a problem anytime a single partition is over 256G

I've done a couple of 500Gb drives and single partitions Huh LBA48, 32k clusters... Full to the brim with movies and music... all seems fine?
I have done about 4 500gb and 3 750 gb using xbhdm and soft mods.
Haven't had any issues to date.
Geeba Wrote:I've done a couple of 500Gb drives and single partitions Huh LBA48, 32k clusters... Full to the brim with movies and music... all seems fine?

I meant without using LBA48 and the 32K clusters. Should have clarified.Cool
idiots
althekiller Wrote:idiots

Whats that for?
Pages: 1 2