Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Difference between File and Library modes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

as many reported I also found that in File mode XBMC is much more responsive.

Also I found that in Library mode new files sometimes don't appear instantly - which can be very annoying.

Anyway, my question - should you see movie info in File mode? At the moment I use File mode and Media Preview, it shows only DVD covers, but no text at all, is this how it should be? Do you suppose to see movie description, IMDB rating etc. only in Library mode?

Thanks.

Edit: ups, could mods please move this into Apple TV support thread?
You will see all this info from file mode if you have scanned the movie into your library (the library is just another name for database, which is required to store the scraped info).
sho Wrote:You will see all this info from file mode if you have scanned the movie into your library (the library is just another name for database, which is required to store the scraped info).

sorry, I'am little puzzled by your reply. Do you mean that if in Library mode I could see info about movies I should see it in File mode as well?

Or should I need to rescan my movies collection in File mode again?
You only get metadata at the file listing level if you are in Library mode. You can, however, always bring up the Movie Information dialog (and get the metadata) from wherever you are (file mode and library mode).
jmarshall Wrote:You only get metadata at the file listing level if you are in Library mode. You can, however, always bring up the Movie Information dialog (and get the metadata) from wherever you are (file mode and library mode).

ok thanks.. Shame though, I like File mode more, but would be nice to see movie info in this mode as well.. I mean it shows dvd cover, why not some text as well?

Unless I miss the point completely here anyhow.
ernisj Wrote:Unless I miss the point completely here anyhow.
Yes you do.

You will see it in file mode, but it requires you to scan it into the library first.
the point is that the file view is only a view of your *files*. not of your movies, shows, episodes. that is what the library is
sho Wrote:Yes you do.

You will see it in file mode, but it requires you to scan it into the library first.

well that's the problem then. My movies are scanned in Library mode, but when in File mode there is no movie info displayed, only file name and dvd cover.

From what I understand now its not possible to display movie info in file mode, which is a shame for me, as I like file mode more that library.
I must admit you have left me thoroughly confused.
I say Wrote:You will see it in file mode, but it requires you to scan it into the library first.

You say Wrote:well that's the problem then. My movies are scanned in Library mode, but when in File mode there is no movie info displayed

What happens if you press "i" (info) in file mode on a movie that has been scanned into the library?
You want the files mode to do what the library mode does. So, you want the library mode twice. It does not make sense.
Krieg Wrote:You want the files mode to do what the library mode does. So, you want the library mode twice. It does not make sense.

Well, I want File mode on steroids Smile

One thing I hate about Library mode is that new files don't appear instantly, where in File mode I can browse them straight away like on PC.

Anyway, its all good, now I know what the difference is so I stick to File mode for now.
I think I kinda see the point here. If you add a file to your NAS say and are in file mode, then it appears instantly in the files view. However, if you're using Library mode, then it will not appear until the next time you re-scan the library (not too much of a problem for me, as I have my aTV set to auto-scan every time I start it up).

What he's suggesting is for library mode to show the library and simply the files for what it hasn't scanned in yet.

Roy.
I can't quite get accustomed to the library mode as well. I have a lot of mates that use XBMC, but they all use it in File mode. I'm curious how much of the xbmc users use library mode. Maybe it's just me. Probably Wink

I like my own file structure, that I've created on my server. Maintaining the library seems cumbersome, and is not always accurate. Especially because I use 4 different xbmc installs. The file mode rocks imho, but it's missing a couple of things that keep it from perfection Wink

The things I miss in file mode:
Season thumbnails, are scraped in library but not in file mode. It would be cool if it would look for Season XX folders and create a thumbnail for it while it retrieves the season thumbs for library mode.
Proper Fanart in file mode In File mode the fanart is only displayed when standing on the root series folder, it should be displayed while standing on the items/subfolder of the series. It could be a skin related problem, i'm using mediastream.

Other than that I think filemode is very good; beats the hell out of MCE! imdb metadata would be cool too; but i can imagine that you would want to keep the library mode exclusively for that.
bartdesign Wrote:I can't quite get accustomed to the library mode as well. I have a lot of mates that use XBMC, but they all use it in File mode. I'm curious how much of the xbmc users use library mode. Maybe it's just me. Probably Wink

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=41477

bartdesign Wrote:imdb metadata would be cool too; but i can imagine that you would want to keep the library mode exclusively for that.
IMDb metadata IS available in file mode (via the mediainfo window)
sho Wrote:IMDb metadata IS available in file mode (via the mediainfo window)

Probably a mediastream related issue then, because it isn't available when you browse your files. Only when you check the info through the context menu.
Pages: 1 2