Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Ubuntu 8.10 64bit - Audio Sync after Pause
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
XBMC Version is Atlantis

Ubuntu 8.10 64bit - Dell E6500

Hardware / Software details:

uname -a

Linux kylea-e6500 2.6.27-9-generic #1 SMP Thu Nov 20 22:15:32 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

aplay -l

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

XBMC Audio Hardware Setup:

Digitial
Dolby Digitial AC3 Capable Receiver (Not Selected)
DTS Capable Receiver (Not Selected)
Audio Output Device Default
Passthrough Output Device iec958

Audio works ok - using Pulseaudio (version 0.9.13)

Default Sample Type: s16le 2ch 44100Hz

My issue is that when I press pause the Video stops - but the audio takes a while to stop and sometimes does not stop at all.

I changed the audio cache to disabled, did not seem to make a difference.

When I press Play the video then speeds up and it takes 20 - 30 sec for the video and audio to re-sync, also the video seems to jump ahead to sections that have not yet been played.

The file is a .AVI.

For the moment I just press stop and restart at the last postion.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forums.

We'll need a log posted to pastebin.com or similar, see /var/tmp. Don't get your hopes up though, none of our devs have a 64bit environment to work from so code probably won't be getting changed anytime soon. Switching to 32bit linux is really your best bet for the foreseeable future.
althekiller Wrote:none of our devs have a 64bit environment to work from so code probably won't be getting changed anytime soon. Switching to 32bit linux is really your best bet for the foreseeable future.

Thanks, I'll do that (produce a trace).

Uhm... 32bit --- not likely --- hope you will at-the-least put a plan in place to move to 64 bit.

I appreciate the volunteer nature of the development, however I have fully committed to Ubuntu 64 bit and I have finally got this beauty working very nicely and after 2 months of solid work there is no way I am going back, 64bit is the future.

I love the look and feel of XBMC - congratulations of the development effort, as a software developer myself I know the hours of unpaid work that goes into producing good software. However I will just use the work around.

Regards
We see 0% performance increase moving to 64bit, it is not priority.
Sure understand, not asking you to do more than seems appropriate. However I have two responses:

1. I am finding, overall, that the 64bit Ubuntu is very fast compared to XP - not sure if that is true for the 32bit version - I have a Core 2 32bit Toshiba laptop that I am going to load the 32bit version onto - so I will do a comparison.

2. And 64bit is the future we are all heading for - the more software there is converted to 64bit then the more users etc....
Here is the pastebin link

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/84980/
There have been a couple of ALSA related fixes recently. I know one specifically dealt with resuming from being paused (though it didn't take 20-30 seconds to recover, but more like 1-2 seconds). It may make sense for you to try latest SVN and report back with a new log.
tslayer Wrote:There have been a couple of ALSA related fixes recently. I know one specifically dealt with resuming from being paused (though it didn't take 20-30 seconds to recover, but more like 1-2 seconds). It may make sense for you to try latest SVN and report back with a new log.

Ok - will do