Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Xbox] Installing XBMC onto an Xbox without a funcional disk drive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(More of an open ended question) After wrecking my Thompson Disk drive, I of course, found out about XBMC. I wanted to run XBMC on the box though, and cannot do so with a broken disk drive (as far as I know, I need to run a copy of Splinter Cell, or Mech Assault to load up XBMC). I was curious: Is there a way to run XBMC on your xbox without a disk drive?

Thanks so much!
you need to search xbox-scene for the answer.... you need a modded xbox to run XBMC.

or ebay an new drive... I've seen working xboxes go for £3 on ebay....
If you have the xbox eeprom, yes.

Connect xbox HDD to PC, unlock it, use XHDM to sofmod your xbox HDD and finally lock it.
Put the HDD back in the xbox, connect to the xbox via ftp, transfer XBMC to the HDD xbox.

I'm not sure if the XBOX works with a broken DVD Drive.
oswyn123 Wrote:(More of an open ended question) After wrecking my Thompson Disk drive, I of course, found out about XBMC. I wanted to run XBMC on the box though, and cannot do so with a broken disk drive (as far as I know, I need to run a copy of Splinter Cell, or Mech Assault to load up XBMC). I was curious: Is there a way to run XBMC on your xbox without a disk drive?

Thanks so much!
Your best best and by far the easiest way is to just by another dvd drive or borrow one from a friend. xbox can be made to operate without a dvd rom drive but af far as i am aware only if you do a hard modCool
Have since done some reading and no a softmod xbox will not work without the dvd drive
Thanks for all of your help! After looking at the options, I think I am just going to repair the xbox.
Without a working DVD drive the xbox will throw a Error Code. Either 10 or 11. By default the M$ Bios have the machine boot the DVD Drive first.....followed by the dash(if a disc isn't in the DVD Drive).

Unless you get a chip installed. Then you can use modded Bios on the chip that will allow it to boot with no DVD drive at all.
FourTwentySmilz Wrote:Without a working DVD drive the xbox will throw a Error Code. Either 10 or 11. By default the M$ Bios have the machine boot the DVD Drive first.....followed by the dash(if a disc isn't in the DVD Drive).

Unless you get a chip installed. Then you can use modded Bios on the chip that will allow it to boot with no DVD drive at all.
A word of warning regarding bios. by default even the bios you flash your xbox chip with
will not do this you need the proper software and the know how to alter a bios settings and then resave it and if you get it wrong then you will have real problems.

My advice is get yourself a New dvd drive Preferably a samsung drive at worst a phillips.
Do not bother with the thompson as it was a faulty drive and was recalled by microsoft.
and then do a soft mod.
xbs08 Wrote:If you have the xbox eeprom, yes.

Connect xbox HDD to PC, unlock it, use XHDM to sofmod your xbox HDD and finally lock it.
Put the HDD back in the xbox, connect to the xbox via ftp, transfer XBMC to the HDD xbox.

it does. thats how i did it on mine. i broke the drive and had to disconnect the hard drive and put in it a desktop to softmod it. it was a while back but basically you start the xbox with the drive attached to the xbox and as soon as the splash logo goes away you hurry up and unplug the drive from the xbox and into the desktop before it realizes the switch. i can' t remember the timing...but it has to be quick. then you can soft mod the drive and replace it in the xbox. mine has been goin now for years like that and i just ftp into it when i need to change/update something!
paul Wrote:Your best best and by far the easiest way is to just by another dvd drive or borrow one from a friend. xbox can be made to operate without a dvd rom drive but af far as i am aware only if you do a hard modCool
Have since done some reading and no a softmod xbox will not work without the dvd drive

i know you can do it! i did! and its still goin strong!!!
Well if you have done it please do explain to us all how you did it?
It's no good being a smart alek and saying i did it not helpful to the original thread starter,
as he is looking for answers
You can mod an xbox w/o having to USE the DVD drive by hotswapping, however, 420 is right, the xbox will still report an error without a drive attached. So, if you can turn on your xbox and not get the error screen, it's possible.

I also happen to have a spare XB1 drive sitting around that I lost the HDDkey for. If you want a DVD drive, IDK, we could work something out...
xbs08 Wrote:If you have the xbox eeprom, yes.

This is all you need to do if you have the eeprom. I've done this about 3-4 times and have never had any problems. Does not involve the disk drive.
Xboxs are cheap as shit now, just grab a new one from ebay, or amazon, or even craigslist. You can probably get a pre-modded one on craigslist.
Firesign3394 Wrote:Xboxs are cheap as shit now, just grab a new one from ebay, or amazon, or even craigslist. You can probably get a pre-modded one on craigslist.

Why are you replying to a 5 month old topic. Do you have a min post quota or something?