Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: .mts file streaming over UPnP from XBMC to PlayStation 3 (PS3)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

trying to stream Sony Camcorder h.264 video files (.mts) from XBMC (Windows) to Playstation 3 without a luck --> ps3 gives an "unknown media format" error.

However, streaming seems to work after I renamed the video content to .mp4 even though the picture is jerky and keeps stopping and starting in every few seconds or so.

Any ideas? Rolleyes
Yes, you will need first convert your video into something the PS3 can understand. When streaming media to your PS3 using upnp, XBMC is simply streaming the raw data to the PS3, it's then up to the PS3 to decode and display the video.

For a list of video formats the PS3 can decode, see here:
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/...types.html

Did you get video editing software with your video camera? If so, it's probably crappy software, but you may be able to use it to at least export your video to something the PS3 can play.
Hi, How do I setup XBMC to stream to my PS3? I have installed XBMC on my windows computer but not sure what to do from there. Thanks
Edit:

N
finetizen Wrote:Hi all,

trying to stream Sony Camcorder h.264 video files (.mts) from XBMC (Windows) to Playstation 3 without a luck --> ps3 gives an "unknown media format" error.

However, streaming seems to work after I renamed the video content to .mp4even though the picture is jerky and keeps stopping and starting in every few seconds or so.

Any ideas? Rolleyes

Hello there,
As you said, currently XBMC is very popular which can be used to play almost all popular audio and video formats around. You've also mentioned that you can not correctly stream MTS files to XBMC. So, let's review the format accepted by PS3 including MP4, AVI, Xvid and WMV. Actually PS3 does not work well with M2TS or MTS formats from the feedback of many users. So, what you need to do is converting the formats to .MP4 PS3.

After several tests and methods, I am sure that the ultimate solution is to use a useful MTS Conversion program (Here I recommend Aunsoft MTS Converter found through Google search engine). And hopefully this software will help you to convert MTS files from XBMC to PS3.

Best regards,
Sincerely urs,
Gates
Rename mts files to .mp4 will destroyed the video files. So i don't think it will help you play mts files fluently on ps3. You need convert MTS to mp4, mkv or vob, etc playable format for PS3. Final Mate is a program can convert mts to ps3 for playing with best quality.