Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: "Honour folders" option in library
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have several categories of movie in my collection that aren't necessarily distinguished by genre. That includes franchises (Back To The Future, James Bond, etc.) but also studios (Hammer, Amicus, etc.). Each category has its own folder which isn't recognised by XBMC's library - you just get a flat list of every movie in your collection. Pulling out to the library root and filtering by genre or studio isn't the answer - it's too unwieldy and lacks all the fields a user might require. An alternative solution would be honouring the sub-directories of your shared folders, just like the File view. So if your Hammer movies are in their own folder, that's how they appear in the Library view.

Possible?
A better solution would be to add an optional "sort title" field to the library that, if set, is used for sorting instead of the scraped title. So you could set it to something like "007 01", "007 02", etc so they would all sort together but display the scraped title.
I think you are looking for this => http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=29328

Huh
Sortorder's a nice feature but I'm not sure it's the solution to this particular problem. In Files view, it's nice to just have all the franchises or whatever grouped together at the beginning as individual items. Then, if you want to explore further, you just click and enter the folder. Is that not doable in Library?
No... but a total rehash of the library is in the long term plan, no promises on dates or centuries though.
But think smart playlists as Library nodes and you should see the possibilities.