Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Media on FTP disappears on "Clean Library"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a problem in regards to maintenance of my video library.

I have XBMC installed on a Mini connected to my TV, and my videofiles on anther computer, which XBMC accesses through an FTP connection.

If I do a "clean library" it deletes the entire content of my library and not just the files that has been deleted on the FTP.

I assume this is because it sees the FTP location as a removable media, as explained by the wiki: "Removes all removable media (example: DVD) without checking for existance + all information tied to these files."

Is there any way of getting around this problem?
ftp is not meant to be used for permanent stored media streaming.

it is considered as fluctuent as http streams, so we remove all info associated on clean to avoid cluttering the db
Thanks for the answer.

The reason why I use FTP is because it is very reliable. If there is no way of getting around the "cleaning" issue, it is however not usable for me in the long run, and I guess I should find another way to stream my media.

What would you recommend instead?
if people are actually using ftp i personally have no issue lifting the cleaning... i just explained what was going on.

however i would strongly suggest using smb instead as ftp is really not intended for streaming (seeks are dog slow as you have to open a new dataconnection every time..)
My problem with SMB share is that the media is on a Vista Machine, and I can't get XBMC to see the smb shares, even though the Mini can connect to them without problems.

EDIT:

Ok I just got the SMB share to work, so I will be using that, allthough it doenst have the convenience of the FTP's merged virtual drives.
i removed ftp from the list in r16857. they will now stay
Spiff, is it possible this 'cleaning' of ftp-sources sneaked in again in Eden beta1?

I use ftp-sources and was running nightlies on my atv2 and Win7 without any problems.
Now, after installing beta1 (and beta2), my Library gets emptied after doing a 'clean Library'.