Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: home:// drive mapping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As XBMC does not support relative paths (and resolves internally mapped drive letters to absolute paths in the 'path' table), one can not use the Library mode when using XBMC on a USB drive with a changing drive letter.

Is there any outlook on the implementation of a "home://" internal drive letter designation to accomodate for relative paths ?

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5162
make it special://home/ please in the patch you obviously plan to submit since you opened a thread in the dev forum
I am happy to bollocks up xbmc code, but as I don't know python and am not familiar with xbmc coding style I don't think you would want me in there.

If someone could hint me in the right direction (i.e. which files are likely to refer to drive letter code) I would be happy to give it a go and tinker with the svn code myself.
Lucky for you xbmc is C++. See xbmc/Application.cpp and xbmc/Util.cpp for a start. Smile
Thanks; will do !
We'll plan to change from drive letters to special path but I dunno if this address your problem. Even the special paths will be resolved to absolute path in the DB afaik. I would say this is a principal question on how we wanna store the paths in the DB.
Hmmm...I see.

Conceptually it would be polite if XBMC would allow for both relative and absolute paths. If I were to move XBMC to a different folder on the same hard disk, should things then still work or should this require reinstallation / rebuilding the database ? Having "home://" or "special://home" or the internal drive letters says "relative", but having the DB resolve paths says "absolute".

Also implementing a relative-to-absolute-path translator should leave all other code untouched.

(Thanks for having me on this forum + you are doing a great job + I can't code C++ and therefore should basically shut up :-)