Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RELEASE] MythBox for XBMC - a MythTV Front-end Python Script for XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't know if some one have the same problem, I can't see properly the mythbox menu with the skin alaska. With Concluence and Night I don't have that problem.
i just installed mythbox under xbmc dharma rc2 and win7
i'm running mysql in background and mythbox is allowed to access, but if i want to watch live tv, i get errors about tables
how do i get the correct table schema in mysql?
thx
It is new to me that mythtv is running on windows ...
Normaly you would need a linux mythtv backend system to connect.
Toadward Wrote:i just installed mythbox under xbmc dharma rc2 and win7
i'm running mysql in background and mythbox is allowed to access, but if i want to watch live tv, i get errors about tables
how do i get the correct table schema in mysql?
thx

What version of MythTV are you running and what Linux version is it using? Mythbox does not yet work with MythTV .24.
Hi,

I think someone raised this before, but I didn't see a response. Since the last release of MythBox(RC2), I've installed MythBox on the latest version of Dharma on Win 7 / Vista boxes. I have a myth backend running on MythBuntu 10.10... and running Frontend on that (0.24) seems to work fine.

Now here's the problem. I don't think that the DB connection is the problem because when I hit "test", it doesn't report any SQL problems. However, under MythTV, the backend server and port are greyed out (I believe this is a "fix"??), which is fine if it picks up the details from the DB, but it just keeps on showing "127.0.0.0" i.e. localhost

anyone got an answer to this?
d3m3ntia Wrote:Hi,

I think someone raised this before, but I didn't see a response. Since the last release of MythBox(RC2), I've installed MythBox on the latest version of Dharma on Win 7 / Vista boxes. I have a myth backend running on MythBuntu 10.10... and running Frontend on that (0.24) seems to work fine.

Now here's the problem. I don't think that the DB connection is the problem because when I hit "test", it doesn't report any SQL problems. However, under MythTV, the backend server and port are greyed out (I believe this is a "fix"??), which is fine if it picks up the details from the DB, but it just keeps on showing "127.0.0.0" i.e. localhost

anyone got an answer to this?

Sorry...... answered my own question.... didn't think of changing the backend IP. Did it and it's an unsupported protocol..... I'm guessing that 0.24 isn't working as yet... anyone know how to downgrade from 0.24 to 0.23?
d3m3ntia Wrote:Sorry...... answered my own question.... didn't think of changing the backend IP. Did it and it's an unsupported protocol..... I'm guessing that 0.24 isn't working as yet... anyone know how to downgrade from 0.24 to 0.23?

I wound up just removing MythTV .24 and doing a new install of .23 but in theory you remove .24 install .23 and restore the .23 databases. In my case I have a basic MythTV setup so it only took about 10 minutes to reconfigure. Before you do that you might want to download the latest Mythbox code changes as support has been added for .24. An entry says support added for Protocol 64.
Dobyken Wrote:I wound up just removing MythTV .24 and doing a new install of .23 but in theory you remove .24 install .23 and restore the .23 databases. In my case I have a basic MythTV setup so it only took about 10 minutes to reconfigure. Before you do that you might want to download the latest Mythbox code changes as support has been added for .24. An entry says support added for Protocol 64.

hmm........ not sure where you're getting the update for Protocol 64 from - all I can find is RC2 and that only has protocol 54 (0.23-1). I also can't find repos for 0.23.... tried searching under snaptics manager. Sorry, I mean I can't find the trunk which supports 64
d3m3ntia Wrote:hmm........ not sure where you're getting the update for Protocol 64 from - all I can find is RC2 and that only has protocol 54 (0.23-1). I also can't find repos for 0.23.... tried searching under snaptics manager. Sorry, I mean I can't find the trunk which supports 64

Here's the listing of changes:
http://code.google.com/p/mythbox/source/list

Here's how you download it:

Get a local copy of the mythbox repository with this command:
hg clone https://mythbox.googlecode.com/hg/ mythbox

Do the above from your unix box or you can try to install the HG windows client.

It will create a folder called mythbox in your home folder with all the recent changes. Backup your production mythbox folder then copy the resources folder from the new folder and overwrite the resources folder for mythbox in the addons folder. Review files in the new mythbox parent folder to see if addon.xml or other files are changed and if so copy them to the addons mythbox folder.
Stumbled in here after reading about the new version of XBMC on engadet.

Have tried connecting to my myth backend from XBMC in the past w/o success.

My mythbackend is a mythbuntu 10.10 w/ myth 0.24 an HDPVR, PVR-500 (dual channel) and a PVR350, w/ 2TB of storage.

The backend runs great, myth's frontends are spotty, but not horrible.

You can run the frontend on windoze now and you don't have to build it yourself. You can get builds here
http://members.iinet.net.au/~davco/
They do run on win7-x64 and x32. Have not tried them on XP/Vista, but would assume the same.

There are issues though which leads me to want to try another front end. Hence wandering in here.

Can watch low def over wifi, but hidef (anything off the hdpvr) is jittery. Connect it to a hard line and it's ok - but my bdr doesn't have a hardline to it. Was wanting to try the mythbox aggressive cashing and see if that helped.

Looking forward to the day I can try w/ .24 for now, I get
'connect to mysql failed: timeout instance has no att...
I have set the IP, port and password correctly so I assume this is the unsupported .24 issue and I can safely stop banging my head on it for now.

Well done on the script, look forward to trying it out. Keep up the good work.
Where does it pull the banner artwork from for shows?
A few examples:
For Good Morning America, I see what looks like a random image from one of the episodes in the Recordings section.
For World News with Diane Sawyer, I see an image of Charlie Gibson who no longer hosts the show.

-GregMS
gregms Wrote:Where does it pull the banner artwork from for shows?
A few examples:
For Good Morning America, I see what looks like a random image from one of the episodes in the Recordings section.
For World News with Diane Sawyer, I see an image of Charlie Gibson who no longer hosts the show.

-GregMS

I think I just figured out the problem. They don't really have artwork at thetvdb, and it was pulling them from Google Image search. I have now disabled Google Image search and will look to upload some to thetvdb. Just to clarify, is it Posters that it searches for?
-GregMS
Just watched the youtube of this working, I want! I have just built up a server that is running Win7 as it is going to have a few uses (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=88544), my question is, is there any way to use the Win7 machine as a Myth backend without removing Windows? Virtual machine with Mythbuntu?

Or...

Can I install the TV tuner card in the server, but have MythTV front and backends on the Acer Revo, and let it access the card over the network? Would this work?

Thanks
t2ffn Wrote:Virtual machine with Mythbuntu?
That will not work. Myth needs direct access to the card, not through virtual machine.
Hello,

This will work with ESXi - I have it working with HDHomeRun and a HD-PVR via USB and then STB changing via Firewire

Also, if you have a PCI-E Tuner and your motherboard supports VT-d then you can use vmdirectpath on ESXi to pass the card directly to the virtual machine.

Jon