Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MCE remote problems after disabling services....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yesterday i went through the process of disabling "unneeded" windows services such as:

fast user switching
wireless zero configuration.

Carefully examining the ones which i needed and did not need to hopefully speed up my media centre boot time, however since doing that my MCE windows remote has stopped functioning. I can still see the LED on the receiver flashing but there is no response. The

HID devices ( needed for infra red etc ) was not disabled... So does anyone know one of the windows garbage services that this remote relies on which i could have disabled?

Any help is appreciated!
Make sure the status for HID devices is set to automatic, and that it's started.

I did a little looking, couldn't find anything that specifically listed the services that the remote is dependent on, other than HID devices. If you can't fix it any other way, do a system restore, then try disabling services one-at-a-time. If you're not sure that it can be turned off...don't.

Safe services to turn off:

Windows Firewall/ICS (Windows firewall sucks, use a 2nd part app if you're that hell-bent on security)
Wireless Zero configuration
Windows Update
Print Spooler
Alerter
ClipBook
Routing and Remote Access
Telnet
Automatic Updates
Error Reporting Service
Event Log
Help and Support
Themes
Uninterruptable Power Supply
Volume Shadow Copy
Background Intelligent Transfer Service

There may be more that can be turned off, but these are the ones that I know are 100% safe to disable. And by 100% safe, I mean that if you're just using this as a HTPC, you won't ever notice the difference...
After reenabling all of the services still no luck. This definately wasnt the source of the problem. I just wiped windows and started over... probably take me less time than trying to sort the problem....

Currently on the fresh install setting everything up again so we shall see how it goes! Huh