Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC on Asus Nova P20 (720p capable)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Asus Nova p20 is a newish small formfactor PC from Asus. I got one of these on loan from my PC shop with the intention to buy it if it does what I want ( which it does ). it comes with Vista, so I quickly wiped that and installed Ubuntu 8.10. After some trial and error I managed to get the wireless and 5.1 audio ( spdif ) working properly which were the only things I had trouble with out of the box.

XBMC runs great on it, plays 720p with DTS soundtrack movies perfectly, even over SMB share if using wired network ( wireless was hit and miss with occasional buffering pauses on 720p ). I've even played a few 1080p trailers and sample videos which seemed okay, but could have been dropping frames that I didn't notice.

1.8GHz Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160;
1GB 667MHz DDR2 RAM;
Asus P2P5B1-DHS motherboard;
120GB Seagate Momentus hard disk;
Matshita UJ-85JS slot-loading DVD-RAM;
Intel GMA X3000 integrated graphics;
DVI-I out; Realtek HD integrated audio; S/PDIF out;
integrated speakers; 4 x USB; Bluetooth; 802.11bg;
Windows Vista Home Premium;
52 x 183 x 251mm (WDH); 1.8kg

It comes with a TV Dock which gives it another DVI-D output, front USB ports, a spot for a 2.5" laptop drive, ESATA and a Digital TV tuner ( not supported under linux ). Also a remote control and a keyboard/mouse combo.

A few things I've read suggests that the RAM can be easily upgraded, and the CPU can be upgraded to a E6420 as well which should get close to handling proper 1080p.

This was the perfect replacement for my aging xbox.