Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] HDMI, onboard Mic, and Karaoke
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For those who haven't seen it yet Karaoke support is back in the current SVN.

I have a issue with my sound setup at a system level and I was looking for help. I'm using audio over HDMI through my ATI video card. I am using the on board sound card for the microphone. When I do this there is a decent delay (1/4-1/2 a second) from what goes in the mic to what comes out over the TV. Does anyone know a way to remedy this?

Thanks
drivesoslow Wrote:For those who haven't seen it yet Karaoke support is back in the current SVN.

I have a issue with my sound setup at a system level and I was looking for help. I'm using audio over HDMI through my ATI video card. I am using the on board sound card for the microphone. When I do this there is a decent delay (1/4-1/2 a second) from what goes in the mic to what comes out over the TV. Does anyone know a way to remedy this?

Thanks

Thats just the way audio travels, first it needs to be made digital then it needs to flow through the entire chain and then out of the computer. On bad/cheap/old audio cards this takes a long while. Thats why you have studio cards.

On linux you can use a low latency kernel (ubuntu studios have one). This is something we probably would want on XBMC live.
OK I installed the real-time kernel and that definitely helped. The only thing I need to figure out now is how to get XBMC to un-mute the mic. The mic test in Ubuntu's sound panel works fine.
drivesoslow Wrote:OK I installed the real-time kernel and that definitely helped. The only thing I need to figure out now is how to get XBMC to un-mute the mic.

You need to unmute mic during playback, not for recording.
oldnemesis Wrote:You need to unmute mic during playback, not for recording.

Maybe I'm missing something but as far as I can tell it is. I have it unmuted on the playback tab in the mixer. Now could it have something to do with the fact that I'm using two separate sound cards one for recording and one for playback?
Apologies for the old bump.

I have Xbmc 9.04 live running on a acer revo. Everything works well with audio, all sound comes out of the hdmi output however when I plug in a mic I can only get the mic output of the front headphone jack. The music will still play through hdmi.

Does anyone know what setting I need to get the mic audio to go out of the hdmi port?

Thanks
Hi,

I have a similar problem running Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic and XBMC 9.11. I'm trying to figure out the karaoke thingie on a zotac ION HTPC/Media Server build.

Music plays back fine through HDMI and the microphone works fine in sound recorder, but how do I set it up to mix the two in playback?

I've unmuted everything in alsamixer.

Any help appreciated,
Mixx
I have this problem as well, using xbmc 9.11 LIVE on an Aspire REVO would be grateful for any hint.
same problem here have xbmclive got tracks to play but Mic setup when I have HDMI output and analog mic input I get no sound, I have it unmutted and no joy.

Its a asrock ION.
any help with mic setups here?
Hi Ive got the same problem.
Revo 3610, connected to reciever view HDMI. Karaoke sound goes through amp to speakers - but mic doesn't. Any ideas on how to solve this?