Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel ATOM 330 Dual-Core CPU experience with XBMC for Linux - perfect 720p playback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Djape Wrote:Hi there, I also own same mobo.
Bad:
1. Way to noisy (changing fans is a must)
2. Box is overheating it melted my sons chocolate Big Grin
3. S-Video doesn't work out of the box with XBMC HD install. I was able to compile new drivers and make it work but decided to go for XBMC Live and S-Video doesn't work.
I tried tons of xorg.conf variations, nothing wrks.

Hmm, that doesn't match my (so far limited) experience with this board. I find the fan to be very quiet, surprisingly so. I guess noise is a subjective thing. I sit very far away from the computer (10 or 12 feet). The computer also sits behind a glass panel.

I haven't noticed any heat issues but I haven't been using it for very long.

I'm not using the on-board Intel s-video output but the s-video output from the NVIDIA card instead. That worked perfectly right from the start.

Greg
S-Video out for D945GCLF2

should be fixed using intel driver > 2.7.1

get it here for ubuntu:
https://launchpad.net/%7Eubuntu-x-swat/+.../x-updates
Yep, fixed already, but thx for pointing out so that others are informed Wink

P.S. If some of you guys have great performance tweaked xorg.conf for this mobo, would you be so kind to share it? Thx Smile
CrashX (or anyone),

Quote:Update:

Looks like we can now now play 1080P content without any frame drops using VDPAU API and G98 PCI Addon Card ( Heat Sink is pretty big so might not fit in all itx case .. PNY might be better )

Is then the conclusion that I need to add a PCI Addon card to play 1080p on this board?

I am considering to use this board since I want to try the atom platform and this is pretty much the only board available in Sweden. I can't find any with NVIDIA® ION.

As an alternative I am looking at the Asrock ION 330 but I prefer to build something myself.
I can play 1080p MKV files flawlessly. I also played a BluRay dump of Ironman 36GB file and it too played perfectly. Ran "sar 5 5" and CPU never dropped below 90% idle.

Running Ubuntu 9.04 with VPDAU enabled in XBMC

Very impressed.....
Ok, but not on the Atom 330 Intel 945GC board without add-on PCI card I assume?
The on-board GPU is GMA 950 and XBMC does not support VPDAU on that. Or have that changed?
vikjon0 Wrote:Ok, but not on the Atom 330 Intel 945GC board without add-on PCI card I assume?
The on-board GPU is GMA 950 and XBMC does not support VPDAU on that. Or have that changed?

AaAagghh yeah.. I misread it as Asrock 330.

I dont see any reason why 720p wont play perfectly fine though. My Acer Aspire one with CoreAVC plays 720p mkv fine. very watchable. With the extra core there and even ability to overclock it it should play just fine.
Okej, Yes, my understanding is that the Asrock 330 is good for 1080 out of the box while the 945GC can handle 720.

Guess I have some thinking to do. I did find a PCI NVIDIA 8400 at a Swedish suppplier so both alternative is valid also for 1080. If price is no problem :S
Not much selection in Sweden if you want to build something based on the atom mini-itx.

This is what I can find if anyone have any use of it (Lots of Swedish members I think?)

Board
INTEL D945GCLF2 LITTLE FALLS ATOM 330 MINI-ITX BULK -----850 SEK (77euro)

Case
SILVERSTONE HTPC SST-LC19R SILVER----------------------1995 SEK (180euro)
(incl PSU)

Remote
PHILIPS RC197 REMOTE CONTROLL OCH RECIVER-------------340SEK (30euro)

Optional GPU
Sparkle Geforce 8400GS 512MB DDR2, DVI, VGA, TV-out, PCI----795SEK (72euro)

I am especially concerned about the case...price and size. If it is cold and silent so be it, but I would prefere a bigger box providing some flexiblitiy. The more standard cases do not support mini ITX. Maybe in the future?
Djape Wrote:Hi there, I also own same mobo.
Can confirm following:
Good:
1. Cheap
2. Does the job great watching up to 720
3. Pretty stable, doesn't crash
Bad:
1. Way to noisy (changing fans is a must)
2. Box is overheating it melted my sons chocolate Big Grin
3. S-Video doesn't work out of the box with XBMC HD install. I was able to compile new drivers and make it work but decided to go for XBMC Live and S-Video doesn't work.
I tried tons of xorg.conf variations, nothing wrks.

Just my 3 cents Wink

Cheers...

Heat issue is known issue for this board as stated in my first post. To fix this, I mounted a 120mm fan and it was 10-15C lower.
vikjon0 Wrote:CrashX (or anyone),

Is then the conclusion that I need to add a PCI Addon card to play 1080p on this board?

I am considering to use this board since I want to try the atom platform and this is pretty much the only board available in Sweden. I can't find any with NVIDIA® ION.

As an alternative I am looking at the Asrock ION 330 but I prefer to build something myself.

Yes this is true, you can play 1080 content fine using PCI addon on linux. Davilla has already done it.
CrashX Wrote:Intel D945GCLF2 - Chipset fan is a bit noisy
I mount 51R or 56R resistor in red wire chipset fan and noise is low, but temerature mode don't now. However in other motherboard this chipset have passive radiator. On D945GCLF2 fan use also blow processor radiator and ICH7. Lower rotation, I think, is enough if the case cooling is normal (I have inwin BM639).
dizzey Wrote:It would be interesting to se the results of this patch FFMpeg-mt on the dualcore atom.

It wont go in to official builds of xbmc until its get integrated in to official ffmpeg, so please dont ask about that. but it would be nice to know how big diffrence it would make on a slower cpu.

I try to apply this patch at the last SVN but i have 2 or 3 error when i type :

patch -p0 < xbmc_ffmpeg_mt.patch

then when i try to make install xbmc retur with an error about "xbmc.bin not found"

the patch is valid for the last svn??and for jaunty?
Greg Rowe Wrote:Based mostly on comments in this thread I ordered a machine that will be a diskless XBMC frontend.

APEX MI-100BK
Intel BOXD945GCLF2D
PNY VCG84512SPEB
Kingston 2GB

The PNY card fits in the system quite easily. If however you had a hard drive mounted in the side of the case you might have trouble. My system is diskless so it works out fine for me.

I take it 120mm fan mounted on the side is fine with pny videocard ?
I run the Intel board ATOM 330, with a 256 MB Sparkle Geforece 8400
and it runs 1080p perfectly with a 5-10% cpu use.

The only negative thing about the board is u need an add on card to make use of digital sound output (Toslink/Spdif...)

I haven tried an add on card though. Maybe some one can comment on that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6